Kasia
Stavanger

Grand Canyon National Park

Weather at the Grand Canyon in late November, is this a good time to go?

We are considering a trip to GC in late November. We would like to check: Horseshoe Bend, Antelope Canyon, Skywalk. Would late November be a good time to go? What will the weather be like?

joel from Manchester (Connecticut)

Hello Kasia:

I have been to the Canyon many times.  I just completed the hike from the S Kaibab Trail to the Colorado River and back up the Bright Angel Trail on July 4th 2015. 

It was 14 degrees C at 6:30 AM at the top when we started down, 3-1/2 hours later at the River it was 41 degrees C.  When we arrived back at the top around 6:00PM it was 25C.

We experienced a thunderstorm as we neared the top and arrived to see a beautiful rainbow. 

Anytime of the year is perfect.  In November the morning can be very brisk but the desert warms more gently than in summer.  Sometimes a light frost covers the Kaibab Plateau and the Plateau is stunning at sunrise.

Do not worry about the weather.  Just go!  The Canyon is one of the wonders of the world. 

Remember to dress in layers as the day heats up.

Enjoy your trip!

-Joel

1. S Kaibab Trail (attraction)
  2. Bright Angel Trail (attraction)
  3. Kaibab Plateau (attraction)

Ann from Austin (Texas)

We were in that region in March. The entrance to the north rim of the Grand Canyon closes early for the whole winter season.  

A suggestion re: Antelope Canyon. Antelope canyon is very commercialized. There are 14 vendors with Indian licenses to take people through the canyon. Groups are large... 30+. You are herded through in 45 min. No tripods are allowed. The entrance is right off the main highway. And there were literally bus loads of Japanese tourists day and night the days we were there. 

Alternative: Waterholes Canyon. Several miles out of Page, and Accessed only through hummer adventures.net, you have a maximum number of 5 people per tour, and this vendor has the only license from the Indians who own the canyon. You take a thrilling hummer ride through the desert and through canyons to get there. And, no, I don't work for them! Just had the BEST experience. You have a short hike to get to the canyon, and you have several hours of unrushed, uncrowded time to explore and enjoy this beautiful canyon with an experienced guide. Take all the photos you want. Our guide even carried my tripod for me. It was fabulous. The only thing you need to know is that it is more expensive than antelope canyon. $125 per person when we went; antelope was around $50. But Water Holes Canyon was totally worth it. Their office is right down the street from the antelope canyon cattle call. But if you are staying in a local hotel, they will probably pick you up.

1. Antelope Canyon (park)
  2. Waterholes Canyon (attraction)

Brenna from Tempe

In late November weather conditions will vary widely depending on the side of the Canyon you are (ie. North, South) and how far into the Canyon you and your friend are thinking of going. Most likely it will be mildly cold and potentially icy on the road, the highs on the South Canyon rim will be around 50F (11C) and inside the canyon it will be anywhere from 60-40F (approximately 20-8C). Depending on the weather there may be road closures but the Grand Canyon South Rim lodge and restaurants will still be open. 

I'm not sure if the Skywalk is open year round but I know that Antelope Canyon and Horseshoe Bend is accessible during the winter months and a lot less crowded, just be aware there will probably be snowfall!

Also, be aware of the distance between Antelope Canyon Horseshoe Bend and the Grand Canyon Skywalk - they are a good distance from each other since you need to drive around the entire Canyon to get to the Skywalk. It's about a 7.5 hr drive and you will most likely need to go through Flagstaff

I think you can certainly have a great trip seeing the Canyon in late November, I'm not sure about your travel plans but if you can visit in early November that might be better. I hope this helps!

1. Grand Canyon South Rim (attraction)
  2. Antelope Canyon (park)
  3. Horseshoe Bend (attraction)
  4. Grand Canyon Skywalk (attraction)
  5. Flagstaff (city)