Molly
Minneapolis

Grand Canyon National Park

South Rim in the Winter???

I'm heading to the Grand Canyon next week. I know it's not exactly the prime time to visit, but hey, at least it won't be overrun with tourists. I'll be with my dad (65) & we're looking to do a short (2 hrs or less) hike that's not too technical or slick. Does anyone know if that's even a possibility? We will rental car, so we have some flexibility. Ideas, suggestions welcome! Other things we have to do while there? We'll be there less than 48 hours, so we need to prioritize.

Brenna from Tempe

It really depends on whether you want to hike into the canyon or along the rim. If you're planning on going into the canyon a little you can hike down to the first rest stop which is a Resthouse about a mile and a half from the rim. It's about 3 miles round trip from south rim to the Resthouse and back and lets you actually get to hike IN the canyon v. on the rim but this does include switch-backs and a significant incline which might be harder.

The other option is to hike along the rim. There's a lot of easier hikes along the rim that allows for a great view of the canyon as a whole and doesn't have much of an incline. If you want to go along the rim the Visitors Center can let you know if the shuttles are running to certain trail heads and which routes are open or closed based off the conditions. Even walking along the rim near the lodge and Visitors Center is great and can sometimes feel like a hike depending on the elevation and how far you go. More information on hiking on the rim is here: http://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/upload/RimTrail.pdf

Remember to bring lots of water, snacks, sunscreen, and a good pair of shoes. I hope this helps! 

Neil

Hi Molly. Hike down the S Kaibab Trail for 1-2 hours and then hike out the same trail. It has expansive views and is less busy than the Bright Angel Trail.

1. S Kaibab Trail (attraction)
  2. Bright Angel Trail (attraction)

Mobile