Harold
New Orleans

Grand Canyon National Park, Arizona

Family Vacation to the Grand Canyon

This is the first time me and my family will get together....ever... and I am 35.  We are not particularly close.  I was wondering about affordable lodging for 15 and other things within range my family can visit.  There will be a wide rage of ages 5 to 70. We will be there for about a week sometime in summer while the kids are off. Do you have any recomendations for accomedations and or activities.

Luciana from Austin (Texas)

The most economical place to stay that is still close to the Grand Canyon South Rim (Grand Canyon Village) is the city of Tusayan. There are a few hotels there, cheaper than the ones inside of the park. We stayed there last November, the location was good and the hotel was so-so (the Canyon Plaza Resort Grand Canyon, the Best Western Grand Canyon Squire Inn nearby seems much nicer, we had a good dinner there one of the nights). 

In terms of activities, with such a wide age range, there isn't much you can do that involves everybody other than walk along the Rim Trail and to hop on the shuttles and go the various viewpoints. You can't really hike down with 5 or 70 year olds, or do the mule ride either. The kids can sign up for the Junior Ranger program and activities. 

If you want to read about our trip (with our kids) and what we did in more detail, I wrote about it here

1. Grand Canyon South Rim (attraction)
  2. Tusayan (city)
  3. Canyon Plaza Resort Grand Canyon (hotel)
  4. Best Western Grand Canyon Squire Inn (hotel)

Willie from Prescott

The Grand Canyon National Park is not an amusement park. I suggest you rest and enjoy nature.

1. Grand Canyon National Park (park)