Lex
Pares Village, Saint Peter, Antigua And Barbuda

Grand Canyon National Park

Best way to experience the Grand Canyon?

I'm trying to visit the Grand Canyon for my 25th birthday with a friend (25th to 27th April) in the most cost-effective way if possible. Here are my questions:

- Which is better, a day trip from Vegas/Flagstaff or staying at the Canyon?

- If staying at the canyon, hotel or camping?

- If camping, which is good campground to stay at? Would they allow cars?

- What are some materials to have that are an absolute must?

- Which trails are good for hiking beginners?

- Is it possible to see all the Canyon has to offer in 1 day?

If someone answers all these, thanks in advance!

Ernst from Long Island (New York)

If it were me, I would stay at or near the canyon. Most people visit the South Rim near Tusayan, so that's where I'm basing my answers on.  Las Vegas is about a 10 hour drive (round-trip), and Flagstaff about a 3 hour round-trip.

The least expensive option for a hotel near the canyon will probably be the Red Feather Hotel in Tusayan. I checked your dates and it is $162/night at the moment.  Camping will of course be a lot cheaper but you'll need to be prepared for freezing nights. Average temps in April are high 60°F/low 32°F. Nights can reach freezing well into June and even July. The elevation in Tusayan is about 6,600 ft / 2000 m. If camping, I prefer Mather Campground in the park as you can walk directly to the rim and it's a nicer experience than Grand Canyon Camper Village which is located in Tusayan. For Mather it is reservation only during peak season (March 1 - Nov. 30).  Both campgrounds have showers and laundry facilities and both allow cars. Both also offer dining/shopping options nearby.

Hiking for beginners: anywhere along the entire length of the Rim Trail (12.6 miles). You could spend an entire day walking the rim if you wanted to. There are shuttle buses that make stops all along the rim, so you can get off and walk between stops until you've had enough, and then catch another bus.  For beginners, you could also venture down the Bright Angel Trail to the 1 1/2 mile or 3 mile points and return depending on your fitness level. Going up is obviously a lot more work than going down. Good thing in April is that you won't be dealing with the heat that you'd have here in the summer months.

1. Tusayan (city)
  2. Red Feather Hotel (hotel)
  3. Mather Campground (attraction)
  4. Grand Canyon Camper Village (attraction)
  5. Bright Angel Trail (attraction)

Crystal from Anchorage

Hello,

It sounds like you are in the very beginning stages of planning this trip, and any of the options you mentioned for how you visit the Grand Canyon National Park could be the right one, depending on what you want out of the trip.

I would think that if the whole purpose of the trip is to see the Canyon, I would make it more than a day trip.

There are a variety of lodges and campsites in and around the national park, including drive-in campsites. Camping of course is cheaper than a hotel or lodge.

If you want the most freedom, I would definitely bring/rent a car. You can definitely not see everything the park has to offer in a single day. There are lots of bus tours going to the Canyon, but I find that idea pretty limiting.

What you bring depends on the kind of trip you do, but everyone would agree that water, sunscreen, and sunglasses are a must. Some hiking snacks are a good idea too like granola bars and oranges. You may want to have some cash on hand for buying souvenirs and snacks from local vendors.

Here are some resources to help you plan:

http://wikitravel.org/en/Grand_Canyon

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g143028-Grand_Canyon_National_Park_Arizona-Vacations.html

If you have any more specific questions about your trip, I encourage you to post them here!

Happy travels!

1. Grand Canyon National Park (park)