Andrea

Grand Canyon National Park

2 or 3 days to hike?

two 49 year olds are hiking rim to rim in June. We both are runners and in good shape. We want to enjoy the hike and want to take lots of pictures. Should we take 3 days to hike it or just 2? Worried we will get bored if we do it in 3 days.

joel from Manchester (Connecticut)

Andrea-

My partner and I are fairly fit and this trip we are going down the canyon at dawn form the Kaibab Trail to the river and back up the Bright Angel Trail.  In july this can be an ambitious endeavor as it can be very hot at the bottom and the return trip is the opposite of climbing a mountain...you have to climb up to end the day...water is very important.

have fun! it is a very surreal adventure...

1. Kaibab Trail (attraction)
  2. Bright Angel Trail (attraction)

Neil

My wife and I have hiked the canyon 3 times and my son and I hiked it last year. Each time has been incredible. Don't rush it if this is your first time. It is a visually stunning hike and a spiritual experience. I would highly recommend hiking the South Kaibab National Forest rather than Bright Angel Trail  as the path is more open and therefore the vistas more expansive. Enjoy yourself.

1. Kaibab National Forest (attraction)
  2. Bright Angel Trail (attraction)

joel from Manchester (Connecticut)

I would agree with Stanley.  If you are fairly fit 2 days is good.  I have hiked the canyon 3 times with the fourth coming this July. 

I plan on one day into the canyon and the next around Vermilion Cliffs National Monument.

1. Vermilion Cliffs National Monument (attraction)

Stanley from Butte

Based on your fitness level, I would say that two days is enough time. However, if you want to go at a slower pace and take your time to venture off and explore some places, then I would go with three.