Andrew
Manhattan Beach

Goleta, Santa Barbara

Looking for cool kid-friendly restaurants in Goleta area

I'm going to be in Goleta for a long weekend next month, so I'm looking for restaurants that we can take our kids (ages 2 and 4).  We'll have larger groups on few occassions.  Plenty of outdoor seating would be preferable if the weather is nice.

Andrew from Manhattan Beach

I just got back from a great weekend in Santa Barbara and wanted to share a few favorites:

Freebirds World Burrito is in  Isla Vista near the  University Of California, Santa Barbara (UCSB) stomping grounds.  I like to consider myself a bit of a burrito aficionado and they did not disappoint.  The seating was a little limited, and you don't see many toddlers running around the UCSB campus, but no one seemed to mind us.

Cielito is on State Street in downtown Santa Barbara and definitely caters to a more upscale crowd, but it was my favorite meal of the weekend.  We sampled several family style plates, and each one would have stood out on its own.  Being able to try so many different options in one meal really put it over the top.  The outdoor patio was very comfortable, and the staff was very tolerant of our kids.

Crushcakes & Cafe is also in Isla Vista.  I'm not usually swayed by desserts, but their Strawberry Lemonade cupcake delivered on its name.  Plenty of seating and lots of unique menu items when you want something other than a  burger or subway sandwich.

1. Freebirds World Burrito (restaurant)
  2. Isla Vista (hotel)
  3. University Of California, Santa Barbara (UCSB) (attraction)
  4. Cielito (restaurant)
  5. Crushcakes & Cafe (restaurant)

Elizabeth

Hollister Brewing Company Even though it's a brewery, it has a nice patio -- even though it's on a parking lot. And there are some kid-friendly (but not necessarily healthy) foods like mac and cheese and french fries. 

Fresco Cafe North This spot has typical cafe fare, and they do it well. Sandwiches, salads, pizza, wraps, quiches, pasta ... There is some outdoor and indoor seating. The dessert case will tempt you. Trust me. Beer and wine is available for the grownups.

Petrini's Italian Restaurant It's casual Italian. No one is going to say the food amazed them, but no one is going to look at your kids crooked either. 

1. Fresco Cafe North (restaurant)
  2. Hollister Brewing Company (attraction)
  3. Petrini's Italian Restaurant (restaurant)