Marie
Austin (Texas)

Goa

Quietest/most off the beaten path places around Goa?

Hello! 

I'll be traveling to Goa with my husband and parents at the beginning of March. I know Goa is quite the party place, so our original plans were to go to a quiet, authentic Ayurvedic place in Kerala. Due to flight schedules, that is not possible so we'll be spending 3 days in Goa.  Can anyone recommend some interesting off the beaten path places? Any nature resorts, quieter beaches, homestays nearby?  If the hotel included food and activities, we would be ok spending up to $200/night per room (although the typical Four Seasons and all inclusive resorts aren't our usual). Thanks!

Marie 

Tushar from Mumbai

Hey Marie, Happy 2015 :)

So I get it that you know Goa for sure!!

Well apart from parties goa has some excellent peaceful beaches with less drunk people ;)

You should visit some places in South Goa like the Cola Beach, Colva beach, Candolim Beach, Cansaulim beach, Majorda beach, Betalbatim BeachBenaulim BeachCavelossim beach, Mobor Beach, Betul beach, Agonda, PalolemButterfly island, Polem , Talpona Beach etc etc...

Check out on google for the above mentioned places, alsoI am adding a few links that you should check out :

1.) this one is the best page to read about all the good beaches - http://www.holidify.com/blog/best-beaches-in-goa/

2.) and then there is Hippie in heels - Blog, she is like the best girl to ask about ask about goa if you are "a girl - on her own" . her blog is like the ultimate guide for goa... 

** You can also add up Gokarna (just Google it) since most of the places i mentioned above are in South Goa - Gokarna is off the goa border towards Karnataka and its like 70-80km from any place in South Goa! Gokarna is quite know for its OM ()shaped beach..  **

Hope I am helpful :) 

Peace - Love  :) 

1. South Goa (city)
  2. Cola Beach (attraction)
  3. Colva (city)
  4. Candolim Beach (attraction)
  5. Cansaulim (city)
  6. Betalbatim Beach (attraction)
  7. Benaulim Beach (attraction)
  8. Cavelossim (city)
  9. Mobor Beach (attraction)
  10. Betul (city)
  11. Agonda (city)
  12. Palolem (attraction)
  13. Talpona Beach (attraction)
  14. Gokarna (city)
  15. Karnataka (city)

Amrita from Goa

Hi Marie,

So happy to know you'll be travelling Goa. It's got something for everyone and don't worry it isnt only for party people. I'm definitely not one of them and got lucky experiencing the unexplored Goa.

I am not sure if you've finalised your accommodation, have you? Consider Turiya Hotels and Spa Pvt Ltd in South Goa, near Palolem beach. It is a village homestay and you can give them my reference (Amrita Das, travel writer). You'll probably speak with a lady named Hanne, the manager there. They also have Ayurvedic massages and everything should fit well in your budget.

Regarding offbeat Goa, I'm not sure if Trippy allows me to paste links but these articles may be help for you:

http://wp.me/pWr3I-c2
http://wp.me/pWr3I-bY
http://wp.me/pWr3I-aJ

They're mostly in South Goa which is quieter, less chaotic with cleaner beaches.

Hope that helps. Have a great trip!

Amrita

1. Turiya Hotels and Spa Pvt Ltd (hotel)

Sheena from Pune, Maharashtra

If you are looking for a quiet stay i would recommend South Goa. Palolem Beach and Agonda are absolutely perfect! There are plenty of beach huts available at both places, and depending on when you travel you can get a decent cottage for as less as $40 - $50 a night. The cottages are basic but clean with functional bathrooms, beds, fans and lights. But don't expect an LCD TV and room service! What you get instead is a breath taking view of the ocean from your room and the sound of waves crashing on the shore when you go to sleep and wake up in the morning! The sea is not as rough down south so you can go for a nice long swim or simply take a kayak out and if you are luck you may spot dolphins. Try jardim a mar for accommodation. We stayed there for my cousin's wedding (yes, they had a beach wedding) and it was beautiful! http://jardim-a-mar.com/en/

1. Palolem Beach (attraction)
  2. Agonda (city)
  3. jardim a mar (hotel)

Bijeta from Calcutta, India

Try the beach huts of H2O Agonda. Its on an offbeat (but safe) location of Goa, called Agonda. The landscape is beautiful. Accommodation is pretty luxurious, and you're right on the beach so that's awesome. 

1. H2O Agonda (restaurant)
  2. Goa (city)

Anish

Yes there are some places in Goa. You have book the hotels in city like PanajiMargaoMajorda, etc. to keep away the busyness of beaches and enjoy the sea foods and drinks side by side you can visit the monuments places  in Goa near Velha GoaPanajiAguada Fort Area etc.

1. Goa (city)
  2. Panaji (city)
  3. Margao (city)
  4. Majorda (city)
  5. Velha Goa (city)
  6. Aguada Fort Area (attraction)

zenia from Mumbai

Although Goa is a very lively place with all the parties and beaches and shacks and everything else... you can find peace and calm in the inner layers of the state.. south Goa is calmer than north Goa.

you can have a look at http://www.tripadvisor.in/Hotels-g297604-Goa-Hotels.html  

1. Goa (city)

Arpit from Jaipur, Rajasthan

In Goa, your itinerary doesn't have to be fixed. I will suggest to rent a hotel at the beach and then hire a car there to visit some church. The rest of your activities, like water sports you can find at the beach. But Goa beaches are not quiet and also now Ayurveda is available at most of the places.

1. Goa (city)