Liane
Indiana

Liane from Indiana asked

Advice on car rental and traveling by train to Glacier National Park?

Anyone have advice or experience traveling by train to Glacier National park and car rental?  We will be arriving late evening at the East Glacier Park Amtrak station and I am concerned if the train is late, we will be stranded without transportation. Any experience or suggestions for this?

I guess I should be a little clearer. I am planning my trip for next July. We are taking the train from Chicago and first going to West Glacier for 3-4 days then heading over to East Glacier for 3-4 days before getting the train to head home. I am concerned about arriving late on the train and having no transportation to get to the car rental place. We will be staying about 10 miles outside the park in an AirBNB rental on the west side so we will need a car to get there. I have searched multiple threads but most answers are so old I do not know if they are still accurate. Thanks for your responses and for any further help you can give me.

Glacier National Park (Montana)   Montana (MT)

Shannon from Vancouver

Where are you planning on going after you get off the train? What time is the train supposed to arrive? Are you coming from the East or West?

There's really nowhere around here to rent a car. You'd have to go to a city like Kalispell or Great Falls. The Amtrak train is often late or delayed because it has to defer the track to the cargo trains.

Matt from Kent (Washington)

When are you planning to travel? And are you coming from the east or west? 

I think getting off the train in Whitefish would be your best chance of finding a rental car, but that might even be iffy. 

I think in the summer months they do rent cars from East or West Glacier, but i dont think there is an office or desk that is staffed, you just have to reserve the car and then they will mak arrangments for you to get the car. 

If your train is late, then the places where you could pick up keys might not be open..