JR Johnson

JR from Manhattan Beach asked October 22, 2014

Gift ideas for the traveler in your life?

The holidays are around the corner, and I've been eyeing a few travel related items that I'd love to find "under the tree."

What are some cool gift ideas for the traveler in your life?

• Ross Weber

Top Answer by Ross W. from Manhattan Beach

NOISE CANCELLING HEAD PHONES!!! See, I'm yelling and you can't even hear me.

• Valerie Sacksworth

Valerie S. from Los Angeles answered

I've been eyeing the new GoPro HERO4.

They are small, portable and take some of the best pictures I have ever seen. Plus, there is an app for your iPhone where you can hook your phone up to the wifi on the GoPro. Every picture you take is automatically stored on your phone.

General Trippy Media

• Heather George

Heather G. from Poipu answered

1. miles on the travelers favorite airline

2. gift card for their favorite hotel or restaurant

3. jawbone jambox

• Missy Johnston

Missy J. from Newport answered

A dry pack cell phone bag, with a lanyard that hangs around your neck or can be attached to where ever is most convenient. Used to protect your cell phone from oceans, rivers, rain, even puddles. Cell phones in most bags can still be listened to, talked on, and even dialed while tucked safely away and water protected. And many of the dry pack cell phone bags float with the phone still tucked safely inside and water protected! I am usually on the water when I travel and so always have a small lightweight dry pack cell phone bag with me and it works!

• Mathilde Baillet

Mathilde B. from Venice Beach answered

A scratch map, the Coolest Cooler and a old funky Westfalia, would make my day! Ready to go!!

General Trippy MediaOh! And exploring the world defying gravity on the Hendo Hoverboard sounds like a lot of fun too!!

Santa Claus is already in.

• Melissa Cunningham

Melissa C. from Los Angeles answered

Ok, so it's a novelty item, but with a nice feel-good factor. The Life Straw would make a perfect stocking stuffer and is great for hiking / camping / adventure travel, as well as any paranoid disaster preparedness urges : ) AND -- for every straw sold, a child in Africa gets clean water for a year. Wins all around. http://eartheasy.com/lifestraw

• Julie Sykes

Julie S. from York answered

Hi JR

On the very practical (but not exactly exciting) front, a travel towel and a swiss army knife. The latter comes has come in handy for me for cutting fruit, spreading cheese on bread, opening wine, and unlocking a door.

On a less practical front - but slightly more gift-y - I agree with previous comments about scratch-off maps and 1000 places to see before you die calendars/books. The latter was a little joy of daily wonder in my office when someone bought it for me one Christmas.

Happy shopping!

Julie

• AJ P

AJ P. from Connecticut answered

It is sort of crazy the number of options there are out there:

A) Multi-usb charger & portable battery / solar charger - for all those gadgets that need power from usb (iphone, android, ipad)

B) Adventure Motorcyclists - http://www.butlermaps.com/

great quality maps, that are 'weather proof'

C) for the audio/music - Bose Quietcomfort 25 - for the price the best noise canceling and blocks out all sorts of noise.

D) Mole skin notepad - for sketching, writing and overall journaling

• Andrew Werhane

Andrew W. from Manhattan Beach answered

I like to bring an AppleTV so I can stream my recent photos from my phone to the TV to recap our day (and of course pull up some Archer on Netflix...). And it's small enough, I can usually sneak into my wife's purse without her knowing!

General Trippy Media

• Justin Schmid

Justin S. from Phoenix answered

A headlamp. I never travel without mine. A few good compression sacks are also great for gifts. Oh, and a good day pack, if you want to aim for a larger budget.

One last one ... a big ol' Class 10 media card for digital cameras or camcorders.

• Jacey & Scott Mahaffy

Trippy Ambassadors are elite members of the community, hand picked to help you travel better!

Jacey & Scott M. from Fort Collins answered

The best travel gift I ever received was the 10000 places to see before you die off the wall calendar. Every day is a new place to visit! I love waking up and seeing what's next!

• Jillian Geer

Jillian G. from Los Angeles answered

Since Blue Bottle Coffee opened on my street, I recently saw they partnered with Timbuk2 on a travel kit. If you are into great coffee and traveling, this is the perfect gift to receive. It comes with a travel case, Three Africans (my fav), as well as a grinder for amazing freshness on the go.

Blue Bottle Coffee

General Trippy Media
    Definitely going to be gifting it this year (and maybe buying one for myself too!): https://bluebottlecoffee.com/travel-kit

• Angelo DeGuzman

Angelo D. from Los Angeles answered

A Tortuga backpack is on my wish list, for sure. The bags look $$$$$. General Trippy Media

• Kax Uson

Kax U. from Barcelona answered

Some things I'd love to get if the receiver was me:

• Organizers like packing cubes, small pouches, anything to help declutter my luggage.
    • Airline miles :)
    • A really nice scarf/sarong that can work in multiple ways: blanket or wrap.
    • Moleskine.
    • Travel books - not guides but anything (can be fictional) about the places I would love to visit. (e.g. I really liked The Shadow of the Wind and it made Barcelona more romantic, mysterious and over all fantastic for me after I've read it)
    • A really nice duffel bag for carry on
    • Language lessons of my choice
    • And maybe a really nice jacket that's light but can keep you warm
  • Lisa Riss

Lisa R. from Manhattan Beach answered

A portable digital luggage scale preferably back lit so you can read it in those dark hotel rooms. I know I like to shop and need to be sure I don't exceed those crazy airline luggage weight restrictions especially when flying in Europe! Here's a link to one I like.

http://www.amazon.com/SimplyTravel-Digital-Luggage-Scale-Satisfaction/dp/B00MXE6OB0/ref=sr_1_153?ie=UTF8&qid=1414362303&sr=8-153&keywords=portable+luggage+scale
  • Lily Bar Am Kazado

Lily B. from Israel answered

• Kenneth M.

Kenneth M. from Germany answered

Have you thought about a camera? I have a Nikon D600 and the pics I get from it and a bag of prime lenses are amazing... Sometimes though I just want to travel light and the Fuji X100 (in any form X, T, or original) is wonderful. It has a equivalent 35mm F2 lens and a quiet leaf shutter.

• Tera Cruz

Tera C. from Utah answered

If you want to give a gift to a traveler that wants to remember the places they've been, meshu.io makes some neat 3-D printed jewelry that uses pinpoints on a map.

• Stef Poessel

Stef P. from Germany answered

Great question! I published a post with my Top 10 gift ideas for Christmas about a year ago, just thought of it a few days ago and am the opinion that those ideas still make good Christmas gifts for 2014: http://tinyurl.com/nu4ld5q

• JJ D

JJ D. from New York City answered

PORTABLE CHARGERS. There's no greater fear than your phone dying on you when in foreign territory.