Ian
United Kingdom

Ghana, Burkina Faso, Togo, Benin

Doxycycline in West Africa

This is a bit of a specific question, I'm afraid.

I have some doxycycline left over from a recent trip to SE Asia, and so was hoping to use this as Malaria protection for West Africa - however I don't have enough for the whole trip.

Assuming doxycycline is 'suitable' for West Africa, is it easily available in Ghana, or, it being 'prescription drug' in the UK would it be the same there and thus more awkward to get hold of, meaning I should top-up before I leave home?

Augustus from Derby

Hello Oliver, 

Good question and my advice will be to get some more Doxycycline before you travel. There are a lot of fake drugs on the market, so better to be proactive and purchase in the  UK before you travel. 

Keep well and enjoy your trip

Augustus

Andy from Provo

I was in Accra from 2009-2011. I would play it safe and get the doxycycline before you head off. Even if you are told that there is doxycycline available, when you get there that might not be the case. Another issue in Africa is that sometimes they say the medicine that is being sold is legitimate but it is actually fake. For those reasons I would get some more before you take off. 

1. Accra (city)

Jillian from Los Angeles

My advice is to buy it before you leave. It will save you the risk of getting faked or expired drugs, as well as the hustle of buying them in West Africa. It's a little more expensive if you plan ahead, but the cost is worth the comfort of knowing you'll have it. I took Malarone last year and was really glad I bought in ahead of time.

With that said, you should be able to buy it there, but I would be sure to only purchase from a reputable, recommended pharmacy.