Elena
Limassol

Germany

Germany for 3 days and 2 nights

Any suggestions for places to visit in Germany and where to stay ? Will be travelling by car:)

Janelle from Charleston

You won't be able to see much of Germany in 3 days/2 nights.  With so little time your best bet is to just focus on one city.  I'd recommend Berlin or Munich.  I haven't been to Berlin since I was a kid, but I've been to Munich recently.  I'd recommend the Blauer Bock hotel as a lower budget option and the Hotel Excelsior München as a higher budget option.  Both are in the city centre and convenient to the metro and the Hauptbahnhof.  Whilst in Munich I'd definitely recommend the Pinakotheken museum complex and Dachau Concentration Camp.  Both are an easy metro or tram ride from central Munich.  If you want to take a day trip, a trip to Fussen and the Neuschwanstein Castle and Hohenschwangau castle complex.  Fussen is a 2h15m train ride from Munich and the castles are another 20 minutes beyond Fussen by local train or bus.

1. Blauer Bock (hotel)
  2. Hotel Excelsior München (hotel)
  3. Hauptbahnhof (attraction)
  4. Pinakotheken (attraction)
  5. Dachau Concentration Camp (attraction)
  6. Fussen (city)
  7. Neuschwanstein Castle (attraction)
  8. Hohenschwangau (attraction)

Sean from Hudson Valley

Hello Elena,

Most of Germany is easily explored by train.  So I will let you know about a place that is better explored by car.

The medieval town of Rothenburg Ob der Tauber lies along the Romantic Road between Frankfurt and Munich.  During the day tour busses a' plenty pull into the town.  Hundreds of people walk the town, exploring the cobblestone streets, walking along the town wall and waiting in the town square for the top of the hour, when the town hall's clock comes to life reenacting a tale from the town's past.

Among the sites in the town are,

However, none of these are why you should visit Rothenberg.  The real magic of the town is revealed when you've decided to stay overnight. 

My advice is to get a room an any one of the many hotels, guesthouses, inns or B&Bs within the town's walls.  Enjoy a meal in one of over thirty dining establishments in town.  Then, as the sun is setting, take a stroll around the town.  Even if you had thoroughly explored the town during the day, the town takes on a entirely different atmosphere at dusk, after the tour busses have left.  With the crowds gone, quiet descends on the town like a blanket.  The stillness of the streets and the serenity evening give you a good feel Rothenberg might have been like centuries ago.  That is why you want to go to Rothenberg.

There is also a medieval themed walking tour at night that is quite fun. 

Nearby are the towns of Augsburg and Dinkelsbuhl.  both are worth a day trip, but it's Rothenberg you'll remember.

Happy travels!