Kelsey

Germany

Winter Germany Trip Itinerary - Please Help!

Hello! I will be taking my first trip to Germany this Winter and have made a rough itinerary. I would appreciate any input on what I have - I'm wondering if this is doable or not given the amount of time I have with the travel time it really takes between each location. Thanks!

December 26 - Fly into Munich, land around 10:00, go to hotel near airport

December 27 - Explore Munich

December 28 - Explore Munich

*Would love to fit in Neuschwanstein Castle somewhere in here

December 29 - Explore Munich

December 30 - Take a train early in the morning from Munich to Heidelberg, visit Heidelberg Castle

Take train from Heidelberg to Osnabruck, use Osnabruck card that comes with our rail pass

Stay the night in Osnabruck - Airbnb

December 31 - Take train from Osnabruck to Hamburg early in the morning

Spend NYE in Hamburg - we have an Airbnb here for 2 nights

January 1st - Explore Hamburg

January 2nd - Take train from Hamburg back to Munich

January 3rd - Fly Home

Terry from Sarasota

Yes it is doable, train service in Germany is excellent !

Do a Google search for Neuschwanstein tours from Munich, there are quite a few and taking a tour bus will allow you to not rent a car.  My wife and I have done that trip both ways, once by bus and then several times by rental car. 

3 full days in Munich will give you time to see the Olympiapark, the BMW-MuseumEnglish GardenNeues Rathaus and to stroll the Marienplatz. You have enough time to visit Dachau Concentration Camp but it is a somber place to visit.

Everyone visits the Hofbräuhaus but my personal favorite is G. Schneider & Sohn because their wheat beer is fantastic.

Get yourself a Munich subway pass, it is good for subways, trams and busses and you can get to anywhere in Munich much faster that way than by car !

1. Olympiapark (attraction)
  2. BMW-Museum (attraction)
  3. English Garden (attraction)
  4. Neues Rathaus (attraction)
  5. Marienplatz (attraction)
  6. Dachau Concentration Camp (attraction)
  7. Hofbräuhaus (restaurant)
  8. G. Schneider & Sohn (restaurant)

Peter from Vienna

Yes, it is possible to do this, but you should have in mind, that it is a long way (5 hours minimum) from Munich to Hamburg and the train will cost you about 200€ per person. You will spent a lot of time and money for travelling around. Maybe it is better to stay more in the southern area of Germany to have a more relaxed trip. There are some interesting citys e.g. in the east, like Dresden

1. Munich (city)
  2. Hamburg (city)
  3. Germany (country)
  4. Dresden (city)

Megan from Geilenkirchen

If you can spare a few hours, stop in Bremen on your way to Hamburg. They have 2 UNESCO world heritage sites worth seeing. In Munich and Hamburg, there are Sandeman's New Europe free walking tours. They last around 2 hours and guides are paid in tips. I've been to many of their tours, including in these cities, and they are always good.

1. Bremen (city)
  2. Hamburg (city)
  3. Munich (city)

Lisa from Stuttgart

The Rathaus (Town Hall) all over Germany are free and open to the public and are usually very beautiful, so don't forget to check these out in whatever city you are in. 

Be sure to learn a few German phrases as this will go a long way.  If you don't know any Germany then look for a 20-30 something year old and they usually can help with English.  :)  

Enjoy your time in Deutschland!

Lisa 

1. Germany (country)