Colin
Toronto

Germany, Brussels, Antwerp, Belgium, Berlin, Amsterdam, Leipzig, Hamburg, Cologne

Places to stop in Germany between Brussels >>> Berlin >>> Amsterdam

I am going to Europe in April and need to select some places to see in Germany. My itinerary so far is loose: I will finish the previous leg of the journey in Belgium (Brussels or Antwerp), then i'll be taking my Eurail pass through Germany before coming back to Amsterdam. I know i want to see Berlin, but that's probably as far east as i will go.

I have between 8 and 11 days to see Germany (April 11 to 21-ish), including Berlin. Where would you recommend I get off the train in between Brussels >>> Berlin >>> Amsterdam?

Leading candidates seem to be Leipzig or Hamburg. Most trains east out of Brussels go through Cologne, so that's also a candidate. I'm thinking Frankfurt is going to be more of a bustling metropolis, which I'm leaning away from. Munich seems too far south, and I could save it for next trip. I'd love to hear more about these cities or any other's in the area that i'm missing.

Budget: Medium-low; hosteling and maybe couchsurfing, but willing to splurge on must-do's.

Style: I like Beer, food, scenery, the outdoors and history. Less interested in shopping. I'm travelling alone, but eager to meet people there.

Ryan from Redondo Beach

Honestly, anywhere in the Rhine Valley during April is great! I'd start in Cologne and work your way down the Rhine to Heidelberg. A great way to do this is to take a walk on ferry or the train. Either work great. I'd even split my time between both forms of transportation.

You can go to the Cologne Cathedral and I recommend the Brauhaus Früh am Dom for a Kölsch. If you're into soccer you can go to RheinEnergieStadion and see FC Köln play!

Next stop in Bonn and check out Beethoven-Haus and got to Museum Mile. Every type of museum you can think of. For food I'd recommend La Piccola for pizza or go to the markets in Marktplatz or Münsterplatz. Then relax in the Hofgarten staring at the Rheinische Friedrich-Wilhelms-Universität and people watching. If you're looking for a beer check out  Zebulon.

You can follow the river south to Koblenz and go wine tasting. There are various vineyards along the banks of the Rhine River with old castle ruins on the hill tops. It's quite a sight during the Spring.

Mainz and Worms have a lot of history with Martin Luther and the Reformation. You can find little shops that have Gutenberg presses in them and you can make a replica Gutenberg bible.

If you have time shoot over to FrankfurtRömerberg is this little area in Frankfurt that is a very old looking German village. But the rest of Frankfurt to me looks like a city from the Mid-West. It was completely flattened during the war so its a very modern looking city with skyscrapers. I'd personally skip it if you don't have time.

Lastly, I'd stop in Heidelberg. Check out the Heidelberg Castle and eat the local food. It's all you'll find.Most of these towns along the Rhine are University towns so food tends to be cheaper than other areas and tipping isn't a must.

This would be a solid few days. It might seem like a lot but I think you could pull it off with the amount of time you have. Have a great trip!

1. Cologne (city)
  2. Heidelberg (city)
  3. Cologne Cathedral (attraction)
  4. Brauhaus Früh am Dom (attraction)
  5. RheinEnergieStadion (attraction)
  6. Bonn (city)
  7. Beethoven-Haus (attraction)
  8. La Piccola (restaurant)
  9. Rheinische Friedrich-Wilhelms-Universität (attraction)
  10. Zebulon (attraction)
  11. Koblenz (attraction)
  12. Mainz (attraction)
  13. Worms (city)
  14. Frankfurt (city)
  15. Römerberg (attraction)
  16. Heidelberg Castle (attraction)
  17. Marktplatz (attraction)
  18. Münsterplatz (attraction)

Caiê from Curitiba

Hi man !!! I've been in Antwerp also alone and have seen some lonely travelers there !!! It's a very turistic city with a great centrum… full of good beers, good food and there is quite an historical sightseeing… It's also pretty easy to move around it…

Have a great trip !!!

1. Antwerp (city)

Jonny from Nowhere

If you can get down to the Mosul river where there are loads of old historic quant towns like Cochem and castles galore. Going through the Harz Mountains is also good for some old towns. Frankfurt don't bother just a big boring city. Aachen nowhere near as good as Cochem etc. 

1. Cochem (attraction)
  2. Harz Mountains (attraction)

Bogdan

Hi Collin, 
I believe you are about to arrive to Belgium.Here are my recommendations for you:

Essential to do!

Visits inside Brussels: 

Visit outside Brussels:

1. Pierre Marcolini (attraction)
  2. Godiva (restaurant)
  3. Leonidas (attraction)
  4. Delirium Cafe (restaurant)
  5. Chez Leon (restaurant)
  6. Grand Place (attraction)
  7. St. Michael and St. Gudula Cathedral (attraction)
  8. Atomium (attraction)
  9. Manneken Pis (attraction)
  10. Antwerp (city)
  11. Ghent (city)
  12. Liege (city)
  13. Neuhaus (attraction)
  14. Café Belga (attraction)
  15. Place Saint-Géry / Sint-Goriksplein (attraction)
  16. Fin de Siècle (restaurant)
  17. Friterie Flagey Frituur (restaurant)
  18. Sablon (attraction)
  19. Galeries Royales Saint-Hubert (attraction)
  20. Bruges (city)

Jakob from Berlin

Cologne is a good stop. As well as Dusseldorf.

Düsseldorf is more beautiful, Cologne is more bustling. Hamburg is great. Don't do Frankfurt.

1. Cologne (city)
  2. Dusseldorf (city)
  3. Hamburg (attraction)

Joachim from Aachen

1. Cologne (city)
  2. Aachener Dom | Aachen Cathedral (attraction)
  3. Carolus Thermen (attraction)
  4. Elisenbrunnen (attraction)
  5. Aachen (attraction)
  6. Brussels (city)
  7. Amsterdam (city)
  8. Munich (city)
  9. Hamburg (city)

Remco from Nieuw-Vennep

Try out Haarlem. Nice city, local atmosphere - if time spent some time on the beach in Bloemendaal.

1. Haarlem (city)
  2. Bloemendaal (city)

Mo from Cologne

In your case and with your preferences I would skip Frankfurt and definitely stop in Cologne. Interesting history, great beer (just look for koelsch) and nice people.

1. Cologne (city)