Emilie
Lyon

Emilie from Lyon asked

Places to see in South Germany ?

I am planning a trip with my boyfriend this June. We would leave from Strasbourg, and go to Munich. Do you have any suggestion about what we could visit, and what city we should stay?

Germany

Ernst from Long Island (New York)

Are you driving? Are you looking for places to explore on the way from Strasbourg to Munich or are you going there directly and basing yourself in or near Munich? There are so many great places to see in southern Germany.  Some possibilities are the university town of Tubingen, Hohenzollern Castle, Lichtenstein Castle (looks awesome from outside but haven't been there yet), Fussen, Neuschwanstein Castle, and Garmisch-Partenkirchen Tourismus, Zugspitze (highest mountain in Germany) is a very challenging hike, or an expensive ride up.You might also consider Salzburg or Innsbruck in Austria.  Both are close to the border with Germany.

Some things to see/do in Munich: Englischer Garten, Hirschgarten (huge beer garden) which is close to Nymphenburg Palace, Marienplatz, watch surfers in the English Garden at Eisbach, and Dachau Concentration Camp (disturbing and deeply moving).If you like Maroon 5, they will be at the Kleine Olympiahalle on June 10th.

Emilie
Thank you for all your suggestions ! Your photos are great ! We are going to travel by car, and we are looking for places to visit on the way, Munich being the arrival point before to go home, maybe by Austria and Italy. if you have any other ideas please let me know ! :)

Ernst
As far as places to stay, I don't have suggestions from personal experience, since I always stayed with family and friends. My mother has a friend in Nuremberg and she learned from her, that the recently renovated hostel there is supposed to be very good. It's in a castle: http://www.hostelz.com/hostel/20713-Nuremberg-Youth-Hostel . Nuremberg is also a nice city to visit. Other than that, you could check out airbnb, VRBO, and couchsurfing.com to see what you find. For airbnb and VRBO, you can plug in your dates and price range and see what's available. Couchsurfing would take more time to organize. If you were to do it right, you'd need to set up a good profile so hosts will have a good impression of you. I have used that site a few times and had great experiences, with those who I actually met. I have to say though, that most of the hosts who I write to never respond. If you go this route, I would only approach hosts that have good references and who you are genuinely interested in meeting and spending time with. Many don't like it when you are just using them for a free place to stay.

Ernst
How much time do you have? If you are considering Italy, and have enough time, you could potentially loop back through Switzerland... Lugano, Locarno, Lucerne, etc.

1. Tubingen (city)
  2. Hohenzollern Castle (attraction)
  3. Lichtenstein Castle (attraction)
  4. Fussen (city)
  5. Neuschwanstein Castle (attraction)
  6. Garmisch-Partenkirchen Tourismus (attraction)
  7. Zugspitze (attraction)
  8. Salzburg (city)
  9. Innsbruck (city)
  10. Munich (city)
  11. Englischer Garten (attraction)
  12. Hirschgarten (attraction)
  13. Nymphenburg Palace (attraction)
  14. Marienplatz (attraction)
  15. Eisbach (attraction)
  16. Dachau Concentration Camp (attraction)
Peter from Munich

Hi Emilie,

i checked on the map for the routes, and probably car and train will be very smiliar, because I dont know what kind of transportation you will use.

Anyway, you could stop by in Stuttgart. Beautiful city on the Neckar. Lots of hiking possibilities and places to hang out (cafes, restaurants, parks). Vistit the Fernsehturm Stuttgart to get a great overview of the city. Stuttgart is also the home of Mercedes Benz. They have one of the best company/car museums I ever have experienced. Mercedes-Benz Museum. It's not only about the manufacturer, it also tells a lot of history of germany. 

Since you are planing to go to Munich you will have lots of things to see and to do. Munich is great especially in the summer time. There are a lot of parks to hang out or if you want to go to swim, I would recommend you Lake Starnberg or Ammersee. Munich is home of BMW and you can visit the BMW Welt. Admission is free, only the museum costs a bit to visit or the factory tour. I guess your boyfriend will like it ;)

If you can go to Neuschwanstein Castle. The fairytale castle itself :)http://gatetoadventures.com/neuschwanstein-castle/

Lake Constance is nice too visit and if you get a chance visit Rhine Falls. A huge water fall of the rhine river. Visit the flower city Lindau Insel.

If you want comment back on that post with more details what you looking for and i am happy to help. 

Unfortunately i cant really tell you any places to stay. I usually go home or stay with friends in this area. But most Gaststätten in germany also offer rooms to stay and that is always a great and also local experience.

Emilie
We will travel by car, for a 2 weeks trip I think. Thank you for all of your suggestions ! If you have any ideas left please let me know :) I don't speek german at all, do you think this will be a problem ? Also, what is a Gaststätten ? Do you have suggestions for cheap places to sleep ? As we are students we don't have a lot of money ... thank you for your help !

Peter
Hi Emilie, in the bigger cities it should be no problem if you dont speak germany. Like Munich or Stuttgart. They normally can speak some english. Depends what places you go, but usually if you are going to visit museums and such things, the for sure have some english staff some where. Gaststätte is like a restaurant which also offers rooms for rent, kinda like a hotel.THis places are usually outside of the bigger cities in the smaller towns or villages and there you can sleep pretty cheap. It always depens where you go. But unfortunately I dont have any recommendations in that area. Never used one. You also could try hostels, but I also don't have any information on that. If you drive you could go Stuttgart - Ulm and then to Munich. I dont know if you like Lego, but there is the Lego Land on your way to Munich. A good example route for the main part i could suggest would be Straßbourg - Stuttgart - Ulm - Munich - Lake Starnberg - Neuschwanstein Castle - Lindau - Bregenz - Konstanz - Schaffhausen (Rhine Fall) - Zurich - Basel Straßbourg. This is just the raw route. You can fine tune it or skip places or add more as you go. Hope this helps...

1. Stuttgart (city)
  2. Fernsehturm Stuttgart (attraction)
  3. Mercedes-Benz Museum (attraction)
  4. Munich (city)
  5. Lake Starnberg (city)
  6. Ammersee (attraction)
  7. BMW Welt (attraction)
  8. Neuschwanstein Castle (attraction)
  9. Lake Constance (attraction)
  10. Rhine Falls (attraction)
  11. Lindau (city)
  12. Insel (attraction)
Katerina from Los Angeles

From Munich, you can go to Neuschwanstein Castle. One of the most beautiful places I've ever seen, like straight out of a fairytale. In fact, it was the inspiration for the Sleeping Beauty castle. My friend and I took a day trip there with Mike's Bike Tours. The tour included transportation, lunch (with magic tricks), an hour bike ride around the area, a 45 minute hike in the German Alps up to the castle, and entrance into the castle for a tour. It was about 50 euros each and beyond worth it, especially since the bus ride takes two hours to get there and two hours back. I highly recommend Mike's Bike Tours because of the incredible service and experience I had. Overall, Munich is one of my favorite cities in Europe so you will surely have a great time! Make sure to visit a beer garden and Hofbräuhaus for a traditional German meal!

1. Munich (city)
  2. Neuschwanstein Castle (attraction)
  3. Hofbräuhaus (restaurant)
Anna-Fee from Freiburg im Breisgau

I can absolutely recommend Freiburg im Breisgau I'm actually surprised that it's not mentioned more often in this thread. And I don't say that just because I've been living here for 25 years now. ;-) The flood of tourists speak for itself. It's a sweet picturesque town located at the foot of the Black forest with a lot to offer besides cobblestones, the minster and pretty streets. It's Germany's "Green City", so you'll come across tons of bikes, vegetarian restaurants etc. Also, it's a very lively student town, so there are always cool events, parties and places full of young people. Also, there is some great nature around Freiburg. For example, the Black Forest is very close, so you might wanna take the cable car up to Schauinsland for an (more or less) easy hike and beautiful views. 

Here's a very good article on Freiburg:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/europe/germany/9892046/Freiburg-Germany-Europes-huge-secret-gem.html

Hope you'll find the time to visit my beautiful home town. :-)Other cities I can recommend are Konstanz loacted at the lovely Bodensee, and Stuttgart.

1. Freiburg im Breisgau (city)
  2. Schauinsland (attraction)
  3. Konstanz (city)
  4. Bodensee (city)
  5. Stuttgart (city)