Emilie
Lyon

Germany

Places to see in South Germany ?

I am planning a trip with my boyfriend this June. We would leave from Strasbourg, and go to Munich. Do you have any suggestion about what we could visit, and what city we should stay?

We drove around S. Germany for 2 weeks a few summers ago.  Our itinerary-which I LOVED, adored every single place:

Munich to Nuremberg (surprisingly beautiful, rampart city that sort of wonders downhill to the river then back up) to Rothenburg Ob der Tauber (adorable and so much fun!) to Fussen (great place to base for Neuschwanstein Castle and the town was quite pretty) to Innsbruck (gorgeous drive up and over the Alps) to Lindau (alond Bodensee Lake) to Stuttgart to Heidelberg (one of my favorite cities ever) and back to Munich.  No drive was terribly long and we had a blast!

1. Munich (city)
  2. Nuremberg (attraction)
  3. Rothenburg Ob der Tauber (attraction)
  4. Fussen (city)
  5. Neuschwanstein Castle (attraction)
  6. Innsbruck (city)
  7. Lindau (city)
  8. Bodensee (attraction)
  9. Stuttgart (city)
  10. Heidelberg (city)

Ernst from Long Island (New York)

Are you driving? Are you looking for places to explore on the way from Strasbourg to Munich or are you going there directly and basing yourself in or near Munich? There are so many great places to see in southern Germany.  Some possibilities are the university town of Tubingen, Hohenzollern Castle, Lichtenstein Castle (looks awesome from outside but haven't been there yet), Fussen, Neuschwanstein Castle, and Garmisch-Partenkirchen Tourismus, Zugspitze (highest mountain in Germany) is a very challenging hike, or an expensive ride up.You might also consider Salzburg or Innsbruck in Austria.  Both are close to the border with Germany.

Some things to see/do in Munich: Englischer Garten, Hirschgarten (huge beer garden) which is close to Nymphenburg Palace, Marienplatz, watch surfers in the English Garden at Eisbach, and Dachau Concentration Camp (disturbing and deeply moving).If you like Maroon 5, they will be at the Kleine Olympiahalle on June 10th.

1. Tubingen (city)
  2. Hohenzollern Castle (attraction)
  3. Lichtenstein Castle (attraction)
  4. Fussen (city)
  5. Neuschwanstein Castle (attraction)
  6. Garmisch-Partenkirchen Tourismus (attraction)
  7. Zugspitze (attraction)
  8. Salzburg (city)
  9. Innsbruck (city)
  10. Munich (city)
  11. Englischer Garten (attraction)
  12. Hirschgarten (attraction)
  13. Nymphenburg Palace (attraction)
  14. Marienplatz (attraction)
  15. Eisbach (attraction)
  16. Dachau Concentration Camp (attraction)

Peter from Munich

Hi Emilie,

i checked on the map for the routes, and probably car and train will be very smiliar, because I dont know what kind of transportation you will use.

Anyway, you could stop by in Stuttgart. Beautiful city on the Neckar. Lots of hiking possibilities and places to hang out (cafes, restaurants, parks). Vistit the Fernsehturm Stuttgart to get a great overview of the city. Stuttgart is also the home of Mercedes Benz. They have one of the best company/car museums I ever have experienced. Mercedes-Benz Museum. It's not only about the manufacturer, it also tells a lot of history of germany. 

Since you are planing to go to Munich you will have lots of things to see and to do. Munich is great especially in the summer time. There are a lot of parks to hang out or if you want to go to swim, I would recommend you Lake Starnberg or Ammersee. Munich is home of BMW and you can visit the BMW Welt. Admission is free, only the museum costs a bit to visit or the factory tour. I guess your boyfriend will like it ;)

If you can go to Neuschwanstein Castle. The fairytale castle itself :)http://gatetoadventures.com/neuschwanstein-castle/

Lake Constance is nice too visit and if you get a chance visit Rhine Falls. A huge water fall of the rhine river. Visit the flower city Lindau Insel.

If you want comment back on that post with more details what you looking for and i am happy to help. 

Unfortunately i cant really tell you any places to stay. I usually go home or stay with friends in this area. But most Gaststätten in germany also offer rooms to stay and that is always a great and also local experience.

1. Stuttgart (city)
  2. Fernsehturm Stuttgart (attraction)
  3. Mercedes-Benz Museum (attraction)
  4. Munich (city)
  5. Lake Starnberg (attraction)
  6. Ammersee (attraction)
  7. BMW Welt (attraction)
  8. Neuschwanstein Castle (attraction)
  9. Lake Constance (attraction)
  10. Rhine Falls (attraction)
  11. Lindau (city)
  12. Insel (attraction)

Katerina from Los Angeles

From Munich, you can go to Neuschwanstein Castle. One of the most beautiful places I've ever seen, like straight out of a fairytale. In fact, it was the inspiration for the Sleeping Beauty castle. My friend and I took a day trip there with Mike's Bike Tours. The tour included transportation, lunch (with magic tricks), an hour bike ride around the area, a 45 minute hike in the German Alps up to the castle, and entrance into the castle for a tour. It was about 50 euros each and beyond worth it, especially since the bus ride takes two hours to get there and two hours back. I highly recommend Mike's Bike Tours because of the incredible service and experience I had. Overall, Munich is one of my favorite cities in Europe so you will surely have a great time! Make sure to visit a beer garden and Hofbräuhaus for a traditional German meal!

1. Munich (city)
  2. Neuschwanstein Castle (attraction)
  3. Hofbräuhaus (restaurant)

Anna-Fee from Freiburg im Breisgau

I can absolutely recommend Freiburg im Breisgau I'm actually surprised that it's not mentioned more often in this thread. And I don't say that just because I've been living here for 25 years now. ;-) The flood of tourists speak for itself. It's a sweet picturesque town located at the foot of the Black forest with a lot to offer besides cobblestones, the minster and pretty streets. It's Germany's "Green City", so you'll come across tons of bikes, vegetarian restaurants etc. Also, it's a very lively student town, so there are always cool events, parties and places full of young people. Also, there is some great nature around Freiburg. For example, the Black Forest is very close, so you might wanna take the cable car up to Schauinsland for an (more or less) easy hike and beautiful views. 

Here's a very good article on Freiburg:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/europe/germany/9892046/Freiburg-Germany-Europes-huge-secret-gem.html

Hope you'll find the time to visit my beautiful home town. :-)Other cities I can recommend are Konstanz loacted at the lovely Bodensee, and Stuttgart.

1. Freiburg im Breisgau (city)
  2. Schauinsland (attraction)
  3. Konstanz (city)
  4. Bodensee (attraction)
  5. Stuttgart (city)