Jo
Florida

Germany, Italy, Shanghai

Must See Suggestions

My husband will be spending nearly 9 mos in Germany and Italy + 6 weeks in Shanghai for work this year. I'll be tagging along, we're looking for suggestions on what we should plan to see while away.  Like history, architectural interests, authentic food, and being off the beaten path.  Also would like any information on car rental, and where we might need a special visa in addition to our U.S. passports. Thx

Anna from Athens

Ah as the other guys also said, Germany has so much to say. Now Berlin is a must. It has so much to see both in the Western and the Eastern part. From there you can visit Potsdam (really picturesque) and Dresden. Also in the north, Hamburg Dusseldorf Cologne are worth a visit. 

To the south we have MunichNuremberg Regensburg Rothenburg Heidelberg and of course the Neuschwanstein Castle.

You can also visit Freiburg im Breisgau in the Black Forest.

Of course depending on your location you can venture out to NetherlandsBelgiumAustria and Switzerland

Now for Italy I definitely suggest Venice Florence and Rome. The whole Tuscany region is beautiful and you can also see the leaning tower of PisaCinque Terre is very popular with bloggers lately as is Portofino Coast and the Amalfi Coast

Hope it helps!

1. Berlin (city)
  2. Potsdam (city)
  3. Dresden (city)
  4. Hamburg (city)
  5. Dusseldorf (city)
  6. Cologne (city)
  7. Munich (city)
  8. Nuremberg (attraction)
  9. Regensburg (city)
  10. Rothenburg (city)
  11. Heidelberg (city)
  12. Neuschwanstein Castle (attraction)
  13. Freiburg im Breisgau (city)
  14. Netherlands (country)
  15. Belgium (country)
  16. Austria (country)
  17. Switzerland (country)
  21. Tuscany (state)
  22. Pisa (metro area)
  23. Cinque Terre (region)
  24. Portofino Coast (attraction)
  25. Amalfi Coast (attraction)

Erin from Kimberly, Wisconsin

Hello,

Germany is a really beautiful country. There is so much to see and do there. A couple cities I would visit would be: Stuttgart, Frankfurt, Munich, Cologne, and Rottenburg am Neckar. The buttresses on the Kölner Dom(Cologne Cathedral) are amazing. The cathedral itself is beautiful and it is said to hold the skulls of the 3 wisemen. If you're into castles, then I would recommend traveling up the Rhine River. There are dozens of castles to see, very hilly, and picturesque. Lots of great little restaurants too throughout Germany that are truly authentic. Seriously, I think they make everything from scratch there. Check out corner bakeries when you can... and make sure to try a giant german pretzel in the morning with a bit of jam and butter (seriously to die for-- except I was craving a can of nacho cheese the entire time and couldn't find any). For fun, I say check out their chocolate shops, and clock makers. Also, if you head south and want to see what the Disney Castle was based on, head to Neuschwanstein Castle.  Seriously breathtaking on the inside as well as the out. I loved traveling through the Alps as well. We rented a mercedes when we were at the airport and everything seemed to be just fine. Can't say we headed into Italy or China... but both sound just as much fun!

Enjoy Germany!

1. Stuttgart (city)
  2. Frankfurt (city)
  3. Munich (city)
  4. Cologne (city)
  5. Rottenburg am Neckar (city)
  6. Kölner Dom (attraction)
  7. Neuschwanstein Castle (attraction)

Veera

Shanghai just happens to my favourite city in the world! Make sure to go for a walk along The BUND when it gets dark (just don't go too late, they actually tun off the lights before midnight). Some other areas worth checking are People's Square, Jade Buddha Temple, Yu Garden, French Concession

My favorite bars; CLOUD 9, CHAR bar, CAPTAIN BAR (for budget, it's inside a hostel but with great view on the roof) and The Glamour Bar.

Restaurants; Lost Heaven (go for lunch, packed in the evening), Din Tai Fung, Nanxiang Steamed Bread Shop (Yuyuan New Road), Bell Cafe and Bar, kommune (on taikang road, a fun place to go explore).

That's it, you are good to go!

1. Shanghai (city)
  2. BUND (restaurant)
  3. People's Square (neighborhood)
  4. Jade Buddha Temple (attraction)
  5. Yu Garden (attraction)
  6. French Concession (attraction)
  7. CLOUD 9 (hotel)
  8. CHAR (restaurant)
  9. CAPTAIN BAR (restaurant)
  10. The Glamour Bar (restaurant)
  11. Lost Heaven (restaurant)
  12. Din Tai Fung (restaurant)
  13. Nanxiang Steamed Bread Shop (Yuyuan New Road) (attraction)
  14. Bell Cafe and Bar (restaurant)
  15. kommune (restaurant)

Peter from Munich

This is kinda one of the hardest question to answer. There is so much to see and to do but even 9 month is not a long time if you are working. It also depends where you stay.

Since you mentioned you are going to have a rental car. Go on the Autobahn and go as fast as your car goes. But keep an eye on the speed limits in certain areas. There are also lot of rules on the road in germany, unlike in the US, where you usually drive like a cowboy on the street.

Erin Reardon has already listed a lot of good choices. If you could give a better location, I can tell you more. There are really a lot of castles and good food and beer ;)

Here a small list with mayor places

BerlinWurzburgLeipzig

But if you are towards the south its also worth checking out Austria or Switzerland

Biggest lake in germany: Lake Constance with an amazing waterfall Rhine Falls

1. Berlin (city)
  2. Wurzburg (city)
  3. Leipzig (city)
  4. Austria (country)
  5. Switzerland (country)
  6. Lake Constance (attraction)
  7. Rhine Falls (attraction)

Depends on where you'll be staying, assuming it's that long you'll have time to roam around the whole country.

In general, it is definitely worth while to check out a concentration camp, sad but very moving experience.

Also definitely make sure buy some wurst from a street vendor and go to a backhaus. Germany has amazing sausage and baked goods, always thought I'd hate German food until I went to Germany and now I crave it. 

There are also lots of castles all over the country, castles are always fun to tour! 

Kaitlyn from Fryeburg, Maine

First - you'll need a Chinese visa. The earlier you get that completed, the cheaper it will be. I recommend checking out the second tallest building in Shanghai: Shanghai World Financial Center (the one shaped like a bottle opener). You can go to the restaurant one floor down for free and they often have bands playing. Pretty much everything is so unique and fun in china that you really can't have a bad time. And the crime rate is so low, you never feel unsafe. Warning, most websites will be blocked (possibly this one).