Alexandra
Salisbury (North Carolina)

Germany, Berlin, Frankfurt

Berlin, or Frankfurt, or both?

this will be my boyfriend and my first time traveling to Germany this October (dates flexible). We love adventure, delicious food, and of course a few beers.  We are in our mid-20s and have somewhat of a budget but don't mind splurging for a very special occasion. Any input is appreciated!

We'll be flying into London Heathrow to stay with family for about 2-4 days, Germany for 4-6 days, and Italy for 4-6 days. 

Mandy from Berlin

If you only have one week, just go to Berlin. It's a beautiful city (you can find some good recommendations already listed here). Berlin is beautiful, has lots to offer for young people, culture and events everywhere.
Frankfurt is mainly a big city, big (banking) business and not so much to do.  

If you have to chose - chose Berlin. ;-) 

1. Berlin (city)
  2. Frankfurt (city)

Pascal from Boulder

I'd spend 1 day in Frankfurt and the rest in Berlin.

There is A LOT to see in Berlin.
You really need an entire week in Berlin but I'd pick out the things you are most interested in. 

1. Frankfurt (city)
  2. Berlin (city)

Uwe from Germany

Hi. Just skip Frankfurt and go to Hamburg!

Visit the Alster Lake, the Landungsbrücken (website|website|utmctr=%28not%20provided%29&__utmv=-&__utmk=112793090" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">website) and some really nice Restaurants and Bars between St. Pauli/Reeperbahn and Schanzenviertel.

1. Alster (attraction)
  2. Landungsbrücken (attraction)
  3. St. Pauli (neighborhood)
  4. Reeperbahn (attraction)
  5. Schanzenviertel (neighborhood)

Gerald from Berlin

Berlin. Skip Frankfurt

1. Berlin (city)
  2. Frankfurt (city)

Dennis

Definitely Berlin! By far.

I live close to Frankfurt and I'm often there. It's a nice city, no doubt - and if you've never seen skyscrapers before, then they are cool to see, too. But that doesn't apply to most travelers. ;) But Frankfurt is like a small town, there are few things to see and it's a city that you need to get to know to like it. Not perfect for someone who only spends a few days in Germany.

So, go check out Berlin. Maybe also Hamburg, not so far and very nice. And before coming to Frankfurt, there is also Cologne and Munich that I'd put on the list before Frankfurt.

1. Berlin (city)
  2. Frankfurt (city)
  3. Hamburg (city)
  4. Cologne (city)
  5. Munich (city)

David from Birmingham, United Kingdom

Berlin - don't bother with Frankfurt. The museums alone will keep you busy. Buy a combined ticket for the Neues Museum and the Pergamon Museum on the Museum Island and see the most wonderful bust of Nefertiti, 3,300 years old, and the Ishtar Gates. Simply stunning.

The DDR Museum Berlin - about life in the old communist East Germany - is in turn amusing and sobering.

And when you're there you must try a Berliner - it's a soft, filled, doughnut sort of thing.

If you're interested you could take a trip out to the suburb of Oranienburg (by train, very short hop)  and visit the Sachsenhausen Concentration Camp of Sachsenhausen.

1. Berlin (city)
  2. Frankfurt (city)
  3. Pergamon Museum (attraction)
  4. Museum Island (attraction)
  5. DDR Museum Berlin (restaurant)
  6. Oranienburg (city)
  7. Sachsenhausen Concentration Camp (attraction)
  8. Neues Museum (attraction)

Pete from Wurzburg

Definitely Berlin! It is a really great city. Myself, I was visiting Berlin already a lot of times, but never get tired of it.

For adventurous activities take a look at an earlier post of mine: http://www.trippy.com/a/528f785fe4b000aeaa1f5372/528f74bbe4b0d34595df431a

Concerning food there is a street food market: http://www.markthalleneun.de/street-food-thursday

Unfortunately, I missed the opportunity to go there myself on my visits. But it certainly sounds great. Maybe some other commenter who knows the place himself can tell you if it is worth going there.

Frankly, I would forget about Frankfurt. In my opinion there is not much to see.

Todd from Boston

Berlin by a long shot! SOOO many great places to eat and drink for cheap. Best doner kebap I've ever had was in Berlin.

Paulo from Viana do Castelo

Forget  Berlin! The city is for one or two days journey!  Checkpoint Charlie Museum you can know everything about the recent past. At  Brandenburger Tor take a picture (or many...between the two places when go walking) and have a Beer!

Frankfurt is beautiful!  Frankfurt Cathedral is AMAZING!  Radisson SAS Frankfurt is the best hotel. (To get more for less, think this way: If you go to Frankfurt, you have there the  Frankfurt Airport and you can get a more friendly experience at a Five Stars Hotel. Don't forget that this a really historical city from earlier Europe History.  Ernst-May-Haus an at  Römerstadt you will start a trip to the Bauhaus Movement.

All you need to know is here: What is Frankfurt and Main?

Have a nice trip!

1. Berlin (city)
  2. Checkpoint Charlie Museum (attraction)
  3. Brandenburger Tor (attraction)
  4. Frankfurt (city)
  5. Frankfurt Cathedral (attraction)
  6. Radisson SAS Frankfurt (hotel)
  7. Frankfurt Airport (attraction)
  8. Ernst-May-Haus (attraction)
  9. Römerstadt (attraction)

Gustavo from Florianópolis

I don't know Frankfurt very well, but Berlin is well worth it. The street life is incredible, the main attractions likewise. 

Scott from Boca Raton

Berlin is a more beautiful city with much history.

1. Berlin (city)

Jessica from Cabo San Lucas

Berlin is much berree by far! A lot of history and cool spots

Sarah from Hamburg

true, Frankfurt is a business town, there is not much to see.

But you could take a train for 1,5 hours from Berlin and spend a day or two in Hamburg. It's a beautiful town and you could even go to the beach there. It's obviously smaller than Berlin but it looks completely different and there's a lot to do there

1. Frankfurt (city)
  2. Berlin (city)
  3. Hamburg (city)