Adam

Germany, Berlin, Dresden, Prague, Czech Republic, Munich

Any suggestions on additional places to see along our route?

Next May/June we're heading to Berlin and from there to Dresden, then Prague, then Munich, then Neuschwanstein Castle. We've got a couple extra days and I'm looking for suggestions along our path...whether it's continuing on to another city like Zurich, or staying in some mountain cabin or alpine farm, or a little town off the radar along the way. Thanks in advance for the suggestions!

Valerie from Seattle

Adam, hope you have an awesome trip! Are you driving or flying between these towns? If driving, here's what I'd recommend:

I'd head south from Prague toward Austria, and aim to take a night in somewhere like Линц (Linz) or if you want to drive a long day, Salzburg. In Salzburg, you can explore Mozarts Geburtshaus and learn more about the history of the town--this is also where 'The Sound of Music is set, so you can bet it's picturesque!

After that I would continue south into Tyrol. This part of the country is supposedly stunning--just take a look at what the internet pulls up as an image result! It's great for hiking and skiing if you're into that sort of thing. From there, I would go up to Neuschwanstein Castle and on to Munich. I think you'll get a great taste of Austria without going to Vienna (though if you're flying, I'd recommend adding Vienna as your extra city stop), and still have a reasonable route for your trip!

1. Prague (city)
  2. Линц (city)
  3. Salzburg (city)
  4. Mozarts Geburtshaus (attraction)
  5. Tyrol (state)
  6. Neuschwanstein Castle (attraction)
  7. Munich (city)
  8. Vienna (city)

Lissa from Boston

Valerie's suggestions are great! I'd add if you do decided to travel between Salzburg and Vienna (Vienna is well worth a visit! So much to see! Austrian Gallery BelvedereHofburg PalaceSchönbrunn Palace) stop in Melk and visit the gorgeous abbey there. (Royalty would stay when passing through, so it's literally fit for a king.) There are vineyards along the route, and you should pop into Durnstein. This cute little river town makes a nice pit stop for lunch or coffee and above the town is the remains of a castle that held Richard the Lionheart captive. The entire region you are visiting is gorgeous! Enjoy the trip!

1. Austrian Gallery Belvedere (attraction)
  2. Hofburg Palace (attraction)
  3. Schönbrunn Palace (attraction)
  4. Durnstein (city)

Ben from London

Tyrol is definitely one of the most beautiful areas in Europe but if you can, from Prague it's not too far to go to Kutna Hora and see the amazing Sedlec Ossuarybone church!

1. Tyrol (state)
  2. Kutna Hora (city)
  3. Sedlec Ossuary (attraction)

Damian from Rosario

Hi!
From Prague to Munich you can go through Vienna, beautiful city or if you want before going to Zurich to stay in the beautiful city surrounded by mountains, Innsbruck, SalzburgTyrol or Pustertal.

Vienna

Innsbruck

Tyrol

Salzburg

Pustertal

Good trip!

Damian.

1. Prague (city)
  2. Munich (city)
  3. Vienna (city)
  4. Zurich (city)
  5. Innsbruck (city)
  6. Salzburg (city)
  7. Tyrol (state)
  8. Pustertal (attraction)

Steve

Lovable Hallstatt is a tiny town bullied onto a ledge between a selfish mountain and a swan-ruled lake, with a waterfall ripping furiously through its middle. The charms of Hallstatt are its village and its lakeside setting. Come here to relax, nibble, wander, and paddle. 

Read more: https://www.ricksteves.com/europe/austria/hallstatt

1. Hallstatt (city)

Gery from Brussels

Hi Adam,

My answer comes probably much too late for you (by the way, how was your trip to Germany/Austria?), but it might be of interest for some others.

I recently spent a night with my familiy in a fantastic old manor house in Hesse (central Germany), not very far from Dresden. If you like history and ancient atmospheres, this is an absolutely unique place, totally unknown to the tourists and the large public: The Herberge im Kleegarten (the Clover Garden Inn) in Heldra (Wanfried).
It’s as if the key to this magnificient half-timbered manor-farmhouse had been lost for 200 years. Everything seems in perfect shape, “as it was then”: with its broad, waxed wooden flooring, its painted interiors with decorated motifs on the walls, age-old doors with wrought iron locks, rural cupboards and dressers, not to mention the abundant furniture and day to day utensils, canopy beds, lamps, copper pans and precious glass…

Interestingly enough, we realized that the village of Heldra, lost in a beautiful nature landscape, was a bordering the old iron curtain (on the West side of it).

If you want to learn more about this very evocative place and its accommodation features, do not hesitate to have a look at the review I wrote about it. I hope you are not afraid of stepping back in time!

1. Herberge im Kleegarten (restaurant)
  2. Wanfried (city)

Scott from Fort Collins

Hi Adam!  My personal opinion would be to head from Neuschwanstein Castle to Fussen and spend a night on the lake just outside of town.  Great views of the alps and the German/ Austrian border.  You could also head over to Lindau on Lake Constance, also known as Bodensee, which is a nice area.  If you go to Fussen, I would also recommend a fantastic drive over the Alps to Innsbruck.  Just make sure to have lunch at a restaurant with views overlooking Zugspitze on your way.  Beautiful!!!  

1. Neuschwanstein Castle (attraction)
  2. Fussen (city)
  3. Lindau (city)
  4. Lake Constance (attraction)
  5. Innsbruck (city)
  6. Zugspitze (attraction)

Jen from Chicago

After Munich and Neuschwanstein, head south to small towns in the Alps. We spent time in Mittenwald and it was beautiful!

1. Munich (city)
  2. Neuschwanstein (attraction)
  3. Alps (attraction)
  4. Mittenwald (city)

In and around the general vicinity of Munich is an adorable town Rothenburg.  It basically looks like your quintessential German village, and I adored it.  If you can make a stop in Heidelberg fit into your route, it is well worth it as well.  We stayed in Fussen when we visited Neuschwanstein Castle and I loved the city.  Cobblestone streets and sits right in the foothills of the mountain.  It's a quick 3 hour drive from there to Innsbruck, over the Alps.  About half-way there is a great restaurant to stop at for lunch with amazing views.  Innsbruck is small enough to walk around for a day.  Make sure to visit the Kaiserliche Hofburg (Imperial Palace), it is very well preserved!  And take a trip up to Bergisel Ski Jump, they do practice when there is no snow!  The restaurant at the top is fun for lunch, and the food is pretty good too.

1. Rothenburg (city)
  2. Heidelberg (city)
  3. Fussen (city)
  4. Neuschwanstein Castle (attraction)
  5. Innsbruck (city)
  6. Kaiserliche Hofburg (attraction)
  7. Bergisel Ski Jump (attraction)

Perla from Alexandria (Virginia)

From Prague, you can go to Budapest.

1. Prague (city)
  2. Budapest (city)

Tomas from Prague

since I m from Czech I can give you some suggestions about Czech places which are interesting around your way.

First option:

On the north of Czech Republic is national Park Bohemian Switzerland National Park, which is really awsome place. In park you should visit Pravčická brána and Hrensko. From Hřensko you can take a hike around small river and there is also option to go on boat at river, which gives you really amazing views:

http://bit.ly/1lUXmde

You can check oficial websites of park:

http://www.npcs.cz/en

Second option:

Karlštejn Castle probably most famous castle in Czech Republic, it is worth to see it, but it is short stop probably for less than one day. You can connect it to visit of Koněpruské jeskyně which are close to Karlštejn.

Last option:

Take a stop at Plzen, which is nice city and capital of Czech and also worldwide beer Pilsner Urquell Brewery.

1. Bohemian Switzerland National Park (attraction)
  2. Pravčická brána (attraction)
  3. Hrensko (city)
  4. Karlštejn Castle (attraction)
  5. Koněpruské jeskyně (attraction)
  6. Plzen (city)
  7. Pilsner Urquell Brewery (restaurant)