Elisabeth

Gatlinburg, St. Louis, Columbia, Asheville, Nashville, Grand Rivers

Kid/Pet Friendly Stops?

My children and I (and our Chihuahua) will be traveling from Myrtle Beach to Kansas City next week. Our course of travel is as follows:

Day 1: MB to Columbia (SC), on through Asheville (NC) and finally to Gatlinburg for the night.

Day 2: Gatlinburg through Nashville and on to Saint Louis for the night.

Day 3: Saint Louis to Kansas City.

I am searching for kid/pet friendly things to do/ places to see along this route. I would like to make this an interesting and educational trip for the kids but have to consider that our options will be limited due to our dog. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Mary Kay

Our kids loved the The Magic House, St. Louis Children's Museum in St. Louis :)  Biltmore Village is cool old mansion but depends on the attention span of the kids :)

1. The Magic House, St. Louis Children's Museum (attraction)
  2. St. Louis (city)
  3. Biltmore Village (attraction)

Charmaine from St. Louis

If you don't have a dog sitter and enough time so you can go to the St. Louis Zoo (rated best zoo in U.S.! it's free to get in but parking costs.), concentrate on St. Louis County Parks & Recreation Departmentattractions--most are free and are great for relaxing the kids on a long trip. What activities do your kids like?  Sylvan Springs has an outdoor skate park (board, BMX bikes, scooters & rollerblades). Laumeier Sculpture Park has large-sized, outdoor sculptures with ideas to engage kids with the art. Water play areas have summer appeal (pack swimsuits!) and benches in the shade for parents at Creve Coeur Park Picnic Site 1,  Branwood shelter, Sylvan Springs Park, and Tilles Park Hiking trails--Appendix A of Trail Policy of St. Louis County lists the length of the trails. Assume you can bring your Chihuahua unless the site states "pets, domestic animals are not allowed." Only a handful have a pet policy-- such as the Wild Bird Sanctuary where your Chi may be seen as a tasty meal! Check the website or contact the St. Louis County Parks Dept if you want to be reassured. 

1. Parks & Recreation Department (attraction)
  2. Sylvan Springs (attraction)
  3. Laumeier Sculpture Park (attraction)
  4. Creve Coeur Park Picnic Site 1 (attraction)
  5. Tilles Park (attraction)

Before you get to Gatlinburg stop at Great Smoky Mountain National Park which I think you can take your dog to.  In Gatlingburg, I  recommend  Ripley's Aquarium of the Smokies for the kids - Dollywood is also nearby.  The traffic in Nashville is really bad - I was much happier with The Hermitage as an educational stop - Andrew Jackson's home which has a museum in addition to the plantation house. St. Louis has the Gateway Arch, but there is also Ulysses S. Grant National Historic Site out in the suburbs.  

1. Great Smoky Mountain National Park (park)
  2. Ripley's Aquarium of the Smokies (attraction)
  3. Dollywood (attraction)
  4. The Hermitage (attraction)
  5. Gateway Arch (attraction)
  6. Ulysses S. Grant National Historic Site (attraction)

Stay in La Quinta Inns and apply for rewards card. They are very dog friendly. You cannot take dog in dining area. Clean up after dog and they are very nice. They even provide the bags. You will have no problem stopping along the route as you desire. Petsmart has a screen cage that makes it easy to travel with small pet. No need to plan much it will be a fun journey and you will see signs for attractions. I stop each hour for 5 min with pets and children. Avoids DVT.

It takes a long time to drive through Nashville. The traffic is busy. If you stay overnight there, get to the other side of the city. I get gas at night, so the car is full and we can wake up and drive.

1. Nashville (city)