Javier
Zaragoza

Gastronomic World Tour- Which country did you have your favorite meal?

Hello,

I am preparing to report on a gastronomic world tour and would love to know what dishes you relate to a certain country? What is the best restaurant where you had this dish?

Thank you very much

Gina from Minneapolis

That's a tough question because so many countries' cuisines change between regions. Consider barbecue in the U.S.—it varies even within individual states (e.g. different types of barbecue in North Carolina). That said, I'll play along and offer some suggestions.

* Since I already mentioned it, I have to offer my suggestions for barbecue, because it's one of America's most beautiful food traditions. I'm partial to northern Alabama, and two of my favorites are Saw's BBQ in Birmingham and Old Greenbrier Restaurant outside of Huntsville. You can pretty much throw a dart at the menu at Saw's and get something amazing, but I'm particularly fond of the chicken with white sauce, which, though it might be heresy to say it, is better than Big Bob Gibson's. At Greenbrier, you've gotta go with the catfish and their hushpuppies, which are the best in the world, for my money.

Austria is the epicenter of Central European sweets. Salzburg is my particular love, as it's sort of a second home to me. Yes, you can get Linzertorte, but to me, just that one cake doesn't capture the essence of it all. Go to Schatz-Konditorei or my personal haven/café-of-dreams, Cafe Fingerlos J.M. Fingerlos and see (and of course, taste) the variety of cakes, tartes and other sweets.

Ethiopia has one of the best cuisines in the world. Doro Wat is frequently called the national dish, and it's a good one, but so too are things like tibs, pretty much any vegetable dish and one of my favorites, injera fitfit, which is shreds of injera (the spongy, teff-flour crepe/flatbread that most food is served on or with) that have been mixed with a berbere-based sauce. The porous shreds soak up the sauce and become even more delicious. And then you eat it with more injera. :) 

Brazil logically has a lot of variety to its food, but my favorite is feijoada, the stew of black beans, sausage and a variety of other cuts of beef and/or pork. Served with couve de mineira (collard greens), vinagrete, rice and a good sprinkling of farofa. Oh, and pao de quejio.

* If I was to go back to Peru right this minute, I'd be out trying to get my hands on a good pollo rostizado, ceviche, anticuchos de corazon and papas a la Huancaina.

* In Colombia, if you want a really famous dish or two, you can get a chocolate completo and or a tamale at La Puerta Falsa in Bogota. Cheese and hot chocolate is a better combo than you'd imagine, and the tamales are really very good. Also while in Bogota, try ajiaco, a chicken soup with potatoes and corn, made more interesting with the addition of crema and capers. Good stuff.

* In Hong Kong you obviously have to go for yum cha and get the classic dim sum like siu mai and har gow and so on. A cha chaan teng breakfast is also a fun experience that's unlike anything else.

* Obviously pho is the headline-grabber for Vietnam, and it shouldn't be missed, either northern or southern. My favorite dish, maybe anywhere in the world, is Hanoi's bun cha. My favorite place is 57 Hai Bà Trưng.

Really, every country has a lot to offer.

1. Alabama (state)
  2. Saw's BBQ (restaurant)
  3. Old Greenbrier Restaurant (restaurant)
  4. Austria (country)
  5. Salzburg (city)
  6. Schatz-Konditorei (restaurant)
  7. Cafe Fingerlos J.M. Fingerlos (restaurant)
  8. Ethiopia (country)
  9. Brazil (country)
  10. Peru (country)
  11. Colombia (country)
  12. La Puerta Falsa (attraction)
  13. Bogota (city)
  14. Hong Kong (city)
  15. Vietnam (country)
  16. Hanoi (city)
  17. 57 Hai Bà Trưng (address)

In general, I've found my most favorite foods Spain, but it's because I've also known where to find them. In Valencia both Seu Xerea and La Lola serve delicious twists on traditional Valencian meals. In particular, order a rice dish from Seu Xerea. Valencia is known for several variations of rice dishes and this place knows how to cook them just perfectly.

Oaxaca is the place to order mole, a spicy sauce with chocolate. They have more variations than most places, so try a few at different restaurants.

American food is very regional and very much a fusion of flavors. South of DC along the water, I really love the fusion food at the The CD Cafe in Solomons Island They serve dishes using local fish caught that day and create some traditional flavors with a twist. Order a key lime pie for dessert and any special they offer.

Oklahoma does steak really well. I had some of the best steak of my life at Redrock Canyon Grill and at Mickey Mantle's Steakhouse. Both are in Oklahoma City and both will serve some delicious steak.

In Budapest, go have a coffee and try the Dobos Torte, a local favorite and intense dessert. The Ruszwurm Cukrászda pastry shop is old, loved, and very well known. This is the place to go for a traditional dessert. It's also incredibly popular. I actually enjoyed the Dobos Torte at the Fröhlich Kóser Cukrászda at 1072 Dob utca 22. It's in the old Jewish district of town and is also known for the Hungarian Jewish dessert, Flödni which is also delicious and quite popular.  For something savory, go to Fatál Étterem at Vaci Utca 67. They serve a paper thin schnitzel the size of your head. So, so good. I have some more food and cake suggestions here: http://10000windows.com/budapest-hungary-a-travel-guide/

1. Spain (country)
  2. Valencia (city)
  3. Seu Xerea (restaurant)
  4. La Lola (attraction)
  5. Oaxaca (city)
  6. The CD Cafe (restaurant)
  7. Solomons Island (attraction)
  8. Oklahoma (state)
  9. Redrock Canyon Grill (restaurant)
  10. Mickey Mantle's Steakhouse (attraction)
  11. Oklahoma City (city)
  12. Ruszwurm Cukrászda (attraction)
  13. Fröhlich Kóser Cukrászda (attraction)
  14. Fatál Étterem (attraction)

Tinesh from Mumbai suburban

I would say Malaysia, especially Penang. The food there is fusion of Indigenous Malay cuisine, Chinese and South Indian. People prepare food taking the best of the three. I ate in a unique restaurant there. It said it's complete vegetarian but the entire menu was filled with dishes such as beef liver, Chicken breast, Mutton, and so on. When inquired, I got to know that all of these dishes are made of Soya. Each has a distinct taste and I couldn't say if they were veg or non-veg. But don't remember the name. It was small and dingy place.

I would also include India but that will have lot of prejudice as I belong to the country. But look at it, every state has its own cuisine. Same dish has many variations. I can go on about it but would prefer an outsider to give a perspective.

I find Thailand highly overrated.

1. Malaysia (country)
  2. Penang (city)
  3. India (country)

Rebecca from Spokane

America is so big and varied, it would be a tall order, but it's still fun to think about. In the northeast you have Maine for lobster (both fresh cracked, and in a lobster roll). New York City for pizza, bagels with lox, and totally stacked corn beef sandwich (and maybe you can get some authentic Buffalo wings there). New England claim chowder and Maryland crab cakes are also in the region. 

New Orleans for both southern comfort food, and Cajun goodies as well. It's a straight gold mine of delicious: Corn Bread, Fried Chicken, Po Boys, Crawdads, jambalaya, gumbo, shrimp 'n grits, Chicken and Waffles, Biscuits and Gravy... I could go on. Austin is just to the west and has some amazing barbecue. The Carolinas, Memphis and Kansas City (Missouri) are the other BBQ styles, if you care to hit them all, but Texas is my favorite. Don't forget to get a steak and some chili while you're there as well.

The Midwest has some of my favorite cities, but you could probably get by with just a jaunt in Chicago. A Chicago dog, Italian Beef, Sausage and some blue cheese fries are all musts. And of course try some Chicago style pizza while you're there, but be warned it is killer heavy.

For the southwest I'd choose either Albuquerqueor Santa Fe as ambassador. You can get many similar foods in Colorado as well, but New Mexico has the benefit of fresh roasted chile! Frybread topped with american style taco toppings (meat/cheese/sour cream/Salsa), Green Chili Stew and Carne Adobada are all things that have hispanic influences, but you won't find if you headed down to Mexico.

You'd have to talk to someone else about California, I've never lived in the north and southern California was not my favorite. Too expensive, too much driving and the biggest food claims in southern California are diet fads, restaurants catering to the wealthy, and Mexican and Asian foods (both great, but, if you're traveling... just go to the source!) Personally, I'd say just hop right on to the Northwest for some Oysters in Seattle. You can get fresh salmon here too, but if you ever have time to eat straight from the water in Alaska I wholehearted endorse it. It is the most beautiful state we have.

Round it out with pie at any small town diner and I think you'd have hit the best America has to offer.

1. Maine (state)
  2. New York City (city)
  3. Buffalo (city)
  4. New England (region)
  5. Maryland (state)
  6. New Orleans (city)
  7. Austin (city)
  8. Memphis (city)
  9. Kansas City (Missouri) (city)
  10. Chicago (city)
  11. Albuquerque (city)
  12. Santa Fe (city)
  13. Seattle (city)
  14. Alaska (state)

Cristóbal from Puerto Morelos

Mexico. Particularly in Veracruz. It was the main entrance for spaniards and africans. Because of this: Veracruz cuisine has evolved from traditional prehispanic cuisine to one of the most intrincated cuisines, for sure, in the world. Veracruz cuisine combines lots of seafood with products brought by the spaniards and africans. You should definitely try Huachinango a la Veracruzana, Camarones al Mojo de Ajo, Langostinos al Ajillo, etcetera. There are lots of dishes from this particular seafood branch.

Mexico in general has a very rich cuisine, it is UNESCO Mankind's Heritage and that's not little to say. You should definitely include my country in your gastronomic world tour.

If you do: stop by and say hi! :D

Buen provecho.

1. Veracruz (city)

Joanne

Irish Breakfast in Ireland

1. Ireland (country)

Robert from Hamburg

In Tulum, Mexico I ate the best quesadillas I've ever had :D Would love to get them again. Fill up a pool with them and dive!

1. Tulum (city)

I'd suggest you put Vietnam on the list. You'll need to get to Hanoi to try Cha Ca Ha Noi ... aka Cha Ca La Vong. It's amazing!

1. Vietnam (country)
  2. Hanoi (city)
  3. Cha Ca La Vong (attraction)

Trish

Italy! Of course...

1. Italy (country)

Giovanna from La Mirada

Hi Javier,

Here are my two suggestions. 

1. My first recommendation comes from my home state in California, US. Playground in Santa Ana is where I highly suggest you part take in what they call Sunday Supper. It's difficult to suggest one particular dish to taste and that's because the menu for Sunday Supper is always changing. I am sure you are confused by now, but let me try to clarify. At this restaurant, every Sunday the genius chefs create amazing tasting dishes from their leftover ingredients throughout the week. Let me tell you, I've never had such amazing leftovers in my life! Their brussel sprouts were to die for, but don't count on it being on the menu should you go. Here is their website if you want to learn more http://playgrounddtsa.com/dinner/sunday-supper/

2. If you happen to be in Cusco throughout your travels then I recommend stopping by Incanto where they serve a fusion between Peruvian and Italian food. I had their Lomo Saltado Risotto and it was unforgettable. Even my boyfriend was jealous that I got the better dish. To this day we still mention how incredibly delicious it was.

Hope this helped. Have fun on your gastronomic world tour!

1. Playground (restaurant)
  2. Santa Ana (city)
  3. Cusco (city)
  4. Incanto (restaurant)

Paola from Rockville

I too would have to go with Peru. Not only does it have some of the best restaurants in the world according The World’s 50 Best Restaurants (http://www.theworlds50best.com/list/1-50-winners) but it also has the best array of cuisine due to its fresh and elaborate ingredients and diverse culture. You will not only find amazing dishes inspired by Peru's rich and divers culture, but you will also find many international fusion restaurants. I just came back from Peru two weeks ago and was blown away by how much they cherish food. Everything from the fast food restaurant  Pardos to Central, the 15th best restaurant in the world. to the little hole in the wall restaurants we found were delirious. We tried to name our favorite meal but we couldn't because everything really was so spectacular.

I also have to say that not only are the restaurants are amazing, but also the creativity of the ingredients that Peru has, and uses. One of my favorite meals was a mushroom qinua risotto that was just unbelievable (Belmond Hotel Rio Sagrado). Also octopus (that i usually hate) were cooked perfectly in restaurants like La Preferida, Central, and Pescados Capitales. Peru really opened my eyes to different types of foods and ingredients that i would never have been exposed to by not being there.

Some of the traditional dishes from Peru are Ceviche, Lomo Saltado, Choufa, Aji de Gallina, Pescado a lo Macho, all a must try while your there.  

Pictured is an octopus dish from a set menu in Central, Lima Peru

1. Peru (country)
  2. Belmond Hotel Rio Sagrado (hotel)
  3. La Preferida (restaurant)
  4. Pescados Capitales (restaurant)

Vivek Jyoti from Englewood

Without any doubt India. Street Food or Delicacies hands down the food in India absolutely great. Although to taste different cuisines you have to travel all over India as each region presents its own delight. North of India presents food which is completely different than south of India and still they both are amazing. If I am going to count the different foods it would be a gastronomical figure. The best thing here is you can taste the cuisines of different countries but the mold and mixed with Indian spices which will provide a completely different flavor. Just check it out and it would be a miss in a lifetime to miss it.

1. India (country)

Lily from Israel

There are plenty of wonderful restaurants in Israel. You can find great and special ones in Tel Aviv(Catit, Rafael, Pronto and more) and Jerusalem (Karma, Angelica). There is fine food in the markets (the Carmel Market in TA, and Machane Yehuda Market in Jerusalem). There are great restaurants in the Galilee (Tool at Calil, Ida in Nahariya, Astush in Liman). Have fun!

1. Israel (country)
  2. Tel Aviv (city)
  3. Jerusalem (city)
  4. Carmel Market (attraction)
  5. Machane Yehuda Market (restaurant)
  6. Nahariya (city)
  7. Liman (city)

I once had a wonderful meal of prawns with satay, in the sun, in a restaurant called Ocean Palace in Cairns, a big plate of seafood in Chatham (Massachusetts) on Cape Cod, a beautifully cooked steak in an Argentinian restaurant in Lisbon but my favorite food in the world would have to be Italian - in any of the Italian regions. I love the soft risottos and the Casoncelli in Lombardy, the seafood on the Ligurian coast, the Courgette flower tempura in Puglia and the Gelato in La Mariana in Bergamo. It's not easy to find a bad restaurant in Italy! Some of the best places are family run Trattorias, in little villages, where the food is regional, with the best local ingredients, cooked with a fierce pride and closely guarded recipe. 

1. Cairns (city)
  2. Chatham (Massachusetts) (city)
  3. Lisbon (city)
  4. Lombardy (state)
  5. Puglia (state)
  6. Bergamo (city)

Lale from Turkey

Turkey is a gastronomic heaven with it's meat, kebabı, sweets and pastane.

1. Turkey (country)

Laura from Glasgow

Vietnam was definitely our favourite country for food mainly due to the incredible 'Pho' noodle soup! We never got sick of it and would crave at least 2 bowls per day every day when we were there either with chicken or beef - both delicious so would highly recommend and hope that's high on your list! If you like we've also written all about our favourite dishes from Vietnam in our article: http://worldlynomads.com/index.php/food-heaven-in-vietnam/ 

India was also amazing but would recommend sticking vegetarian there as they don't tend to care for their meat in the same way as we're used to so we avoided getting sick by sticking to veggie and fish (when close to the sea!) - everything was delicious!! Peru is also very good especially for fresh ceviche and delicious meat & potato dishes!  Enjoy!

1. Vietnam (country)
  2. India (country)
  3. Peru (country)

Eddie from Bronx

For your Gastronomic World Tour - I would say you don't have to look any further than the USA, most notably New York City. Although I have not been to Europe or some of the other countries out side of the USA,  I have been able to enjoy a number of great dishes from various regions around the world right here in NYC. When it comes to diversity, NYC and it's outlying boroughs are meccas when it comes to enjoying outstanding staples from around the Globe and are second to none. You can enjoy the same foods here without the travel. So no matter what you crave, whether it is European, African, Middle Eastern, Caribbean, Asian or any other the foods of the Americas, you have to look no further than NYC. Besides, in the city that never sleeps, very rarely will you not find what you are looking for. 

1. New York City (city)

Arpit from Jaipur, Rajasthan

Sea Food at Cafe' Trio in Bangkok.

1. Cafe' Trio (restaurant)

Tal from Bat Yam

Go to Tel Aviv Israel. It's a melting pot for so many cuisines so it tastes superb. You'll find french dishes served with an arabic touch and asian dishes served with a turkish touch, etc. 

1. Tel Aviv (city)

Babak from Brazil

Ceviche from Peru. Any Peruvian restaurant will make your mouth water.

1. Peru (country)

Daniel

Barcelona

Tokyo

Edits:

add Taipei and Tainan (in Taiwan) to this list. 

For these three, check out the anthony bourdain segments.

1. Barcelona (city)
  2. Tokyo (city)

Robert from Ft. Lauderdale

Peru, cold water ocean in south, warm ocean in north, Amazon jungle in north and arid in south and everything in between . Inca, Spanish, African, Japanese, Chinese. Variety of ingredients and racial mix .... Culinary orgasm.....

1. Peru (country)

I've never been to either but I imagine Thailand and Vietnam would be amazingly delicious!

1. Thailand (country)
  2. Vietnam (country)

Ruby from Assisi

Italy! In Naples there's La Notizia! Truely the best pizza ever :D

1. Italy (country)
  2. Naples (city)
  3. La Notizia (restaurant)

Greg from Johannesburg

I would go + 1 for Turkey , but it's difficult to dump it into one sentence. Various regions have their own delicacies .... all just delicious. Istanbul  has them all , but nothing beats having it in the region. 

1. Turkey (country)
  2. Istanbul (city)

Sergio from Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro

Italy, in Rome.

Try these dishes- Rigatoni alla amatriciana, Saltimbocca alla Romana and  Panna cotta  at Piazza Navona

1. Italy (country)
  3. Piazza Navona (attraction)

Bonnie from United States

Bologna has the most amazing food! You can do a food tour of the region seeing the production of and tasting balsamic, Parmigiano-Reggiano and lambrusco. I went on a tour with Emilia Delizia tours and it was fantastic!

1. Bologna (city)

Julian from Australia

It's Vietnam. Just by a click you can find a hundred of dishes you should try if you travel throughout VN. Many of them are must-eat!

1. Vietnam (country)

Jaime

1. Spain (country)

Sheryl

How fun.  I agree with pho just about anywhere in Vietnam and Cajun shrimp with grits in New Orleans but the meal that was so unexpectedly delicious and simple was in a small hotel in Montone, Umbria.  It was fresh egg pasta with white truffles, freshly grated parmesan and butter. Must be there in October when the white truffles are found. Umami!

Will from On The Road

That is indeed a tough question, however on my blog I recently detailed 10 unforgettable foods from around the world following a decade of travel. From Turks & Caicos to Vietnam to Iceland to Slovenia, some of my best culinary experiences are listed at http://www.worldleap.co/10-unforgettable-foods-from-a-decade-on-the-road/ .

Laura from Buenos Aires

Greece definitely should be on the list. 

You can have a great meal in almost every restaurant because the ingredients are simply wonderful, really fresn and tasty. 

In my travle I had the beast lunche ever in Restaurant "Tis Pandoras" in Amoudi Bayin Oia: grilled octopus, fried feta cheese, fried eggplant, tomato croquettes, pasta with seafood.... Mmmm, my mouth is watering just remembering that...

1. Greece (country)
  2. Restaurant "Tis Pandoras" (attraction)
  3. Amoudi Bay (attraction)
  4. Oia (city)