John

Gallup, Walla Walla, Washington, Ohio

Trip Advice

I'm traveling solo to NE Ohio from SE Washington State in late February. Have made the decision to avoid the mountain passes and the worst winter weather of I-90 and I-80 by taking a road trip and traveling south to I-40, then heading Northeast. Wondering about the trip to Gallup, NM, which seems like the most convenient point to start the NE travel part of this trip. So, the question is - from SE Washington, to Gallup, NM - is this mountainous travel, or pretty flat? I'm absolutely willing to go a few hours out of my way to avoid winter/mountain travel. I noticed (on Google maps) that one route goes through Las Vegas. Would appreciate any advice. Thank you.

Heidi from Colorado
I don't think you'll hit many mountain ranges on this route. We were just in Gallup. You have to have Mexican food at Jerry's Cafe. I am from Washington and have lived in Colorado for nearly 20 years. I have eaten Mexican food (my favorite) everywhere across the west and this place is the BEST!  Have fun! You'll be traveling through some beautifully desolate country.

Go through Las Vegas. No mountains on I-10. Go to New Orleans, Biloxi, Mobile, to Memphis, TN. To Nashville, to Louisville to Cincinnati, Ohio. See the sights, relax. Drive 6 hours a day.