Valerie

Funchal

What's the best neighborhood in Funchal for a first time visitor?

I've never been to Funchal and I'm a little overwhelmed by all the hotel options. I'd like to stay in a hotel that is central and gives me good sense of what Funchal is like. I'd love to know where locals tell their friends to stay when they visit, and why those areas and hotels are special. thanks!

Jodi from Funchal

I'm going to second Hotel Do Carmo because it's outside the busy nighttime tourism of Rua de Santa Maria (which has the great painted doors project -- 200 in all!) and is also located between the Rua da Sé area and the old town. 

I lived for a month just above there (two streets up on Rua Elias Garcia) and I really liked being a bit away from the center, but a fast walk to anywhere.

When you're on the island, don't miss the lava pools in Porto Moniz and have a lamb and potato soup in Sao Vicente and take the insanely steep teleferico near Santana. I also took the ferry to Porto Santo for the day - it's 57 Eur return, so it's not cheap, but it was a worthwhile trip as Funchal's beaches are black rock, and the Porto Santo has white beaches with sand. A nice contrast! We ate at a place called Apollo14 right next to the church there.

1. Hotel Do Carmo (hotel)
  2. Rua de Santa Maria (attraction)
  3. Rua da Sé (attraction)
  4. Rua Elias Garcia (attraction)
  5. Porto Moniz (city)
  6. Sao Vicente (city)
  7. Santana (city)
  8. Porto Santo (city)

Jörgen from Vaggeryd

I would like to recommend Hotel Do Carmo. Right in the center of Funchel, yet in a small quite street. Great service in this family owned hotel. Many great restaurants nearby in Zona Velha, the old town. I suggest Restaurante O Regional there, by the cable car. Try the grilled Espada. Scabbard fish, very good together with banana.

1. Hotel Do Carmo (hotel)
  2. Zona Velha (attraction)
  3. Restaurante O Regional (restaurant)

Dani from Funchal

Stay in  or Old Town. It's central and will give you the best prices and you can get to most sights from these locations by bus or by taxi. Just don't stay right next to the Cathedral or the bell ringing will wake you up while you're adjusting to the time difference. My favorite restaurants tend to be in Lido but the room rates are more expensive in that area. Some of my favorite things to do as a tourist are: Armazém do Mercado, Cable Car to Monte, Monte Toboggan rides.

1. (attraction)
  2. Old Town (attraction)
  3. Armazém do Mercado (restaurant)
  4. Monte (city)