Stef

Frankfurt

Must sees/do in Frankfurt, Germany???

I'm planning on spending 1-2 days in Frankfurt (is that enough?). 

What are some must see attractions? Also, if you know of any good local restaurants or fun clubs, please share!

Christie from Hershey

Frankfurt is my second home, and while I love it because of childhood memories with my relatives and because I am familiar with it, it is not a place I would opt for as a tourist.  If you are renting a car, I would head out to neighboring towns that are as cute as any - Oberursel (Taunus), Rudesheim am Rhein, Idstein, etc. and have old town centers that are picture book sweet. But as for the city of Frankfurt, I have to agree with the other response that recommends Munich.  Frankfurt is a good hub for flying to other places or as a starting point for a car trip.

1. Oberursel (Taunus) (city)
  2. Rudesheim am Rhein (city)
  3. Idstein (city)
  4. Munich (city)

Polly from Washington, DC

I hope someone who knows and loves Frankfurt comes along and refutes this, but I have the impression there's not a ton to see or do there - both times I've been, I've immediately been shuffled off to more interesting places by people who know Germany better than I do!

From your other questions it looks like you're doing a long trip around Europe. My suggestion would be to swap out Frankfurt for Munich, unless there's a pressing reason for being in Frankfurt (like flying in or out of the airport). In that case, I'd use one of Frankfurt days to visit Heidelberg instead. The city has a pretty, half-ruined castle and is a university town.

1. Frankfurt (city)
  2. Munich (city)
  3. Heidelberg (city)

Steve

I was in Frankfurt at New Years, basically because I had a flight out there. The downtown area by the Rathaus Offenbach was nice. The Goethehaus I enjoyed. It has his family home with some art exhibits. I also enjoyed the Frankfurt Zoo. There was a pastry shop acrossed the square (within eyesight of zoo exit) at the zoo, by the U or S bahn station? That had amazing pastries. Those were the highlights of my trip there with my Family, that included my teenage Son. It was also the holidays, so the Christmas decorations were nice. I spent New Years on the main River by the Rathaus-city hall, that was crazy. Those were my positive experiences there. The area by the train station is a bit rough and the Red Light District is near there. I saw some shady stuff going on, be aware of your surroundings if a you find yourself there.

1. Rathaus Offenbach (attraction)
  2. Goethehaus (attraction)
  3. Frankfurt Zoo (attraction)
  4. Red Light District (attraction)