Emily
Austin (Texas)

France, Spain, Italy, Europe

Wine cruise thoughts?

My husband and I love wine and great food. Because of this, we were thinking about a wine cruise in Europe. Any experience with this? Recommendations? We are in our thirties and pretty active, so my concern is we might not get out and moving enough. Thanks!

Ciobanu from Bucharest

Hey. I know a really great place where you can travel to in Romania. The host is a great Lady named Marcela.  I can even show you a vacation package where you can book her place. 

When I went to her place, she cooked amazing food, traditional Romanian food. She exceeded my expectations. The best part is, she is a wine lover!

https://familyvacation.com/vacations/romania/gourmet-vacation-in-transylvania

1. Romania (attraction)

Brett from Eindhoven

I've never done an official "wine cruise", but depending on your ports of call and how you spend your shore time, most European cruises (excluding the North/Baltic seas) can be made into a wine cruise.

River cruises can take you along the Danube, Rhine, and Mosel rivers in Germany, Austria, etc. where there are vineyards lining the river banks for much of your journey.

Taking a cruise in the Western Mediterranean Sea around Italy, Greece, Croatia, and Montenegro will provide you plenty of opportunities for visiting local vineyards, and in some of these countries, the wineries will bend over backwards to accommodate visitors.

Laura from Kansas City (Kansas)

Emily, 

You had me at "wine cruise in Europe"... My husband and I celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary on a French river cruise traveling up the Rhone a couple of years ago. We started in Avignonand ended up in Chalon-sur-Saone on a Viking boat, but there are a number of companies that do this. While it wasn't specifically a "wine cruise", we drank wine from the region throughout the whole tour and it was delicious. The food on the boat was good... I wouldn't say great, but we certainly enjoyed every bite. 

One thing to be aware of, at your age, you'll likely be the youngest on a river cruise. We were in our mid-40's and we were pretty much the youngest. (Although, because of that, we were sort of treated like rock stars by the rest of the passengers. It was kind of funny.)

Regarding physical activity - there were no workout rooms on our river cruise, but we stopped every day and explored incredible locations - you'll be walking and hiking some amazing cities. We also rented bikes in a couple of cities.

If you're looking for a larger cruise ship, the Oceana has a food and wine school onboard! Last year, we cruised from Rome to Positano to Corfu to Dubrovnik to Venice. The food, wine, locations, physical activity opportunities and everything else are first class and exquisite. 

1. Avignon (city)
  2. Chalon-sur-Saone (city)
  4. Positano (attraction)
  5. Corfu (city)
  6. Dubrovnik (city)