Kayla
Portland

Kayla from Portland asked

Where can I find the best pastries in France?

I am on the lookout for the best pastries in France! What are some pâtisseries I cannot miss?  I'll be flying into Paris in April, but spending two weeks driving around the country.

France   Paris

Belinda from South Carolina

Look for long lines of locals early in the morning!

Vivien from Paris
I would say La Pâtisserie des Rêves  Note that you can't seat there. Grab a piece of pleasure and walk 5 min to find a nice place to eat it. 

Michael from San Leandro

I have two suggestions one in Paris and one in Nice. The Paris spot is Angelina Maison de L Afrique awesome pastries and without a doubt the best hot chocolate in the world. The place was a hang out for Coco Chanel. Best at odd hours: 2:00 pm on a Tuesday. Crowds!  The Nice place is Mmd. Boundce located in the Marche at the end of the Promende des Anglies. Crossant just like you imagine them!

I spent two hours tracking down the "best" patisserie (according to many resources) on my first trip to Paris. WhIle I met some interesting people and saw alot hunting for the shop, I learned a big lesson. Look for the locals and follow your nose. When you walk in it should be a feast for all of your senses. Frankly, if you throw a rock down a street in Paris you usually land on something good to eat or drink.

Grégoire

You have to try a "Ladurée". They have the best Macaron ever !

Marnie from Conflans-sur-Anille

All great suggestions below. Regarding the macarons, and fabulous Bûches de Noel, the French Christmas cakes shaped like a fire log, the most famous are Les Marquis de Ladurée on Rue de Castiglione, also Ladurée on Rue Bonaparte and Ladurée Champs Elysées.

However, outside of Paris, in LE MANS CENTRE, near our chateau, we get an equal quality at a much better price!

1. Les Marquis de Ladurée (restaurant)
  2. Ladurée (restaurant)
  3. Ladurée Champs Elysées (restaurant)
  4. LE MANS CENTRE (restaurant)
Kamel from Paris

Hello Kayla,

I would tell you to visit and have a degustation of thoses pastries :

1. Pierre Hermé Paris
  2. L'Éclair de génie
  3. Gâteaux Thoumieux
  4. La Maison du Chou
  5. Christophe Michalak with "Michalak take away"
  6. La Pâtisserie des Rêves

With those adresses you should enjoy your stay in Paris and tickle the taste buds :-)

1. Pierre Hermé Paris (attraction)
  2. L'Éclair de génie (restaurant)
  3. Gâteaux Thoumieux (restaurant)
  4. La Maison du Chou (restaurant)
  5. Christophe Michalak (restaurant)
  6. La Pâtisserie des Rêves (restaurant)

I actually think the best pastries in Paris are at the La Grande Épicerie de Paris. Seriously, the croissant amandes there are the best in the whole city. 

I'm also a card-carrying member of the Ladurée fan club so I'll concur with what's been said here. Here's the link to their stores all over France if you need it: https://fabricantdedouceurs.laduree.com/en_fr/#!houses

1. La Grande Épicerie de Paris (attraction)
  2. Ladurée (attraction)
Michael from Tacoma

Stohrer, 51 Rue Montorgueil 75002, opened at this location in 1730 by a pastry chef for Louis XV. The choices, including Baba au Rhum, are delicious, but not inexpensive. Stohrer is located on a market street within walking distance of Les Halles.

1. Stohrer (restaurant)
Roxanne from Montreal

Every regions have there own specialities.  Do you realy need someone to limit your tasting experiences. Go for it ! Enjoy !

When we were in Marseille we stopped at Patisserie Plauchut with a salon-du-thé in the back and it was delicious. It's very authentically French, full of Marseillais stocking up on baguettes or sipping coffee reading the newspaper in the salon, their tropezienne was delicious.

Almond croissants and pain au chocolat are also favourites, never had a bad one anywhere we went. 

Surprisingly (call me crazy) McDonald's has great Macaroons if you don't want to wait in a Laduree line up all day. Also, the French love McDonald's so you're not being entirely un-French if you go there ;)

1. Marseille (city)
  2. Patisserie Plauchut (restaurant)