Ashley
Durham (North Carolina)

France

Best travel guide for France?

Hi! I'll be travelling to France this spring and was wondering if anyone had a good suggestion for a guide book to help me plan my trip. On our last trip abroad, we used Rick Steves and were pretty happy with what was suggested. But I want to know if there are others out there people enjoy as well!

Darren from Dublin

Hi Ashley,

It depends on where you are going to in France, I find the guides can be very variable in their coverage with some glossing over interesting towns and sights.

Cadogan Guides are great for cultural coverage but not so interested in the location of launderettes. The guides can be regional in nature and provide driving itineraries and a shortlist of must-sees, some of which might be off the beaten track.

I tend to like the regional guides, Normandy, Brittany etc. rather than the national guides as the information is more detailed.

For things to do as well as places to see there are the Routard guides, great if you read French, these are available for the main regions such as Pays de la Loire, Corse etc. and provide information to allow you to choose, rather than suggestions on what to do.

Hope this helps at least a little, enjoy your visit.