Geoff
Baltimore

France

1 Week in France

I've been thinking about spending a week in France - I've been to Paris multiple times already, and while I love it, I feel the need to explore more regions.  I don't speak French (attempting to learn!) and probably wouldn't have a car (traveling by myself) although maybe that would be better idea instead of trains only.  Looking to get ideas of where to go...I'm thinking not a big city, perhaps a village or the countryside.  May/June timeframe.

Victoria from Riga

While everyone is suggesting South, I think it would be sad to miss North-West - Normandy. It is breathtaking and very different from the South. It depends on what you like really - the mild Mediterranean sea or magnificent, cool Atlantic coast. The coasts of Northern seas is just a different story with its calmness and salty air.

Visit Rouen to see the beautiful city with its Jean D'Arc history. 

Étretat is one of the most beautiful cities I saw. When you go there you will understand why it inspired so many impressionists.

Honfleur is a gem, too.
Try mussels in Barfleur.

Visit cute little village and Monet's House and Gardens 30 minutes away from Paris if you love art. Giverny

Check out Pointe Du Hoc to see the historic landing where D-Day happened.

Try authentic cider and Calvados, the Normandy famous apple drinks.

1. Rouen (city)
  2. Étretat (city)
  3. Honfleur (city)
  4. Barfleur (city)
  5. Giverny (city)
  6. Pointe Du Hoc (attraction)

Hey, Geoff,

Sounds like such a fun adventure! My favorite part of France is the south and May-June is a great time to go! 

One of my favorite, somewhat off-the-beaten path places is  L'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue. It's a breathtakingly beautiful town that built it's reputation on being a center for antiques. They have an amazing  Marche Aux Puces or flea market that you should definitely not miss. Even if you hate antiques, it's still a gorgeous town. 

I also love  Moustiers-Sainte-Marie. Yes, it can get a little tourist laden, but at least it's mostly French tourists. The town is known for it's faience stores and there's literally one right after the other. I actually hate faience but I love this town. Definitely don't miss it!

One of my all-time most favorite places in this area of the world is  Le Castellet. It's an old hill top town (you'll absolutely need a car to get there) that's all artisans and restaurants (including a great crepe place called  Crêperie Au Roy d'Ys which has an amazing view). The views from here are beyond good and it's well worth making the trek. 

If you want super sleepy, I would try  Saint-Remy-de-Provence. I can't say it's my favorite town in France, but it's definitely low key and feels much more like a village than a city. Very picturesque and lots of great characters to watch. 

I know you don't want to go to a city, but it would be a shame to be in that part of the world and not see  Aix-en-Provence. It's a city, but it feels and functions more like a village. Everybody knows everybody and the pace is very slow. I've spent a lot of time here and it's one of my favorite places on the planet. 

Have a great time!!!

1. L'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue (city)
  2. Marche Aux Puces (attraction)
  3. Moustiers-Sainte-Marie (city)
  4. Le Castellet (city)
  5. Saint-Remy-de-Provence (city)
  6. Aix-en-Provence (city)
  7. Crêperie Au Roy d'Ys (restaurant)

frieso from Brussels

Hello, I would also advise you to go more to the south of France. Some great cities to visit are Lyon (great food!), Montpellier (beautiful) and Nice (French riviera).

1. Montpellier (city)
  2. Nice (city)
  3. Lyon (city)

Julian from Tampa

Hi, May / June is a good time to visit BordeauxBiarritzBiscarrosse also if you want to visit some castels, you can go Sarlat-la-Caneda and all that part of France called "Périgord" it's usually picturesque villages, you can find there old fashionned restaurants.

http://www.bordeaux-tourisme.com/pl/index.pl?langueSelected=uk

Enjoy your trip.

1. Bordeaux (city)
  2. Biarritz (city)
  3. Biscarrosse (city)
  4. Sarlat-la-Caneda (city)
  5. Périgord (region)