Shaina
Hilton Head Island

Shaina from Hilton Head Island asked

What are some great day trips from Ft. Lauderdale?

We're renting a car when I visit Ft. Lauderdale so I’m thinking about taking some road trips up and down the coast. Where should I stop? I’m up for anything so I don’t care if it’s a small town or a big city. Open to going inland, too. Hotel suggestions are welcome in case I decide to stay a while if you happen to have ideas.

Fort Lauderdale (Florida)

Marina from Fort Lauderdale

Hi Shaina! Other than the obvious hot spots like Miami and the Everglades National Park, my friends and I love going to Lake Okeechobee.

It's a really beautiful lake in Florida. We love coming here during the summer to "get away" from the city. It has a small town feel but it's a really beautiful area to spend a day or two. A little past Miami is Coral Gables. I have a lot of family here and I love coming to this cute little town to visit. Matheson Hammock Park & Marina is such a calming area to walk through. Be sure to also see the Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden, the prettiest oasis. Take a swim in the Venetian Pool, a "must do" in Coral Gables for a first time visitor :). I highly recommend driving into the Everglades too, it's one of those things that you have to do when you're in Florida and even though I was born and raised in FL, I still love seeing the gators :)

Rasto from Edmonton

Among other things you can visit Sawgrass Recreation Park right west of the city and go on an airboat ride into the swamp and if lucky to see some alligators. There is as well reptile exhibit.

Bianca from Miami

Miami is such a short drive away from Fort Lauderdale! It would be a perfect day trip to the bigger city. South Beach would be a really great area to explore, its super lively but has a lot of local culture around. Opium Garden and Joe's Stone Crab for lunch or dinner (my favorites in Miami). Head into the Design District if you like art. There's a lot of galleries to walk through and cute little shops. Another place you can check out during your day trip here is Little Havana. One of my favorite areas in Miami, it feels like you're in Cuba. Great food and people. Worth visiting on your road trip from FL :) 

1. Miami (city)
  2. Fort Lauderdale (city)
  3. South Beach (attraction)
  4. Opium Garden (restaurant)
  5. Joe's Stone Crab (restaurant)
  6. Design District (attraction)
  7. Little Havana (neighborhood)