Rachel

Fort Lauderdale

One Funky Day in Fort Lauderdale

We're a couple in our 30s who will be spending one day in Fort Lauderdale before heading down the Keys.  What are the coolest places to eat and most unusual things to see in the area? What's a can't miss if we just have 24 hours to spend? 

Mary

One of the best times you'll have is taking the River Taxi. Most times the captain will tell you all about the beautiful mansions and disclose fun details about their owners.  There are lots of photo ops, and you can stop anywhere you wish (restaurants, Las Olas Boulevard for shopping or eating, the beach) and get back on.

No worrying about finding a parking place or drinking and driving. If you google "Fort Lauderdale River Taxi" you may even find coupons to save on eating. 

1. Las Olas Boulevard (attraction)

Meridith from Fort Lauderdale

If it's a nice day, eat  Coconuts Bahama Grill on the water and spend time across the street at the beach. Many great bars on the beach and you'll get a taste of what makes fort lauderdale a spring break destination. A quieter time, dine on las olas, pretty much any place you pick will be good. promise. if it's rainy check out  The Funky Buddha Brewery, indoor bocci ball and of course beer. 

1. Coconuts Bahama Grill (restaurant)
  2. The Funky Buddha Brewery (attraction)

Hmmm, Fort Lauderdale isn't the funkiest place I've ever been in my life (in part because I was always there visiting family), but I can recommend some good places to eat. 

I don't want to admit how many hours I've spent at the  Southport Raw Bar which is a great little seafood place that borders on a dive. I haven't been there in a while but I can tell you it was great the last time I went--not fine dining by any means, but reliable. 

If you want something that's a little more sophisticated, I would try the  Bimini Boatyard Bar & Grill. It's got a nice diverse crowd (not all retirees but not all hipsters, either) and the food is fabulous. You can sit right out on the waterfront which is really nice. 

When I was a kid my grandmother (who lived down there for part of the year) used to take me to the  Le Cafe De Paris which is this very old school French restaurant where they used to wheel out a cart to serve the food and often made a lot of it right in front of you. The decor is very old school, too and if you go be sure to sign the wall with the signatures of all their customers. I think you'll like it because it's funky in a sort of ironic way (lots of ladies who lunch) and at least it will put you on  Las Olas Boulevard which, while unfunky, is a very nice street to do some strolling. 

Speaking of Las Olas--I would check out the  Riverside Hotel for lunch. It's a gorgeous hotel and one of my all-time most favorite places for lunch. Again, I don't know that it will score high on the funk meter, but the food is so good I couldn't not mention it. 

I would also check out the  Chef's Palette Cafe & Grill which is a restaurant that is run by all the students at the nearby culinary institute and it's absolutely fantastic (and relatively inexpensive). 

1. Southport Raw Bar (attraction)
  2. Bimini Boatyard Bar & Grill (restaurant)
  3. Le Cafe De Paris (restaurant)
  4. Las Olas Boulevard (attraction)
  5. Riverside Hotel (hotel)
  6. Chef's Palette Cafe & Grill (restaurant)

Lissa from Boston

Yes, don't miss Las Olas Riverfront for its shops and restaurants (try La Bonne Crepe for great crepes!)... but if you want something off the beaten path and funky, visit the Bonnet House Museum & Gardens. I grew up in Lauderdale and didn't visit until recently and thought it was great. It's a funky old mansion tucked away off of the beach behind tropical gardens with some really unique decor. 

1. Las Olas Riverfront (attraction)
  2. La Bonne Crepe (restaurant)
  3. Bonnet House Museum & Gardens (attraction)

Brandon

There are a lot of fun places among the businesses on Fort Lauderdale Beach and the A1A which is most likely where you are staying anyway.  Find a patio spot that looks nice enough to scare off the spring break crowd and is nice and open. The drinks are pretty good anywhere you go and the people watching is some of the best I have seen. It's a pretty big melting pot.

1. Fort Lauderdale Beach (attraction)
  2. A1A (attraction)