Serena

Florida

Where to go for a romantic (and also fun) weekend in Florida?

My husband and I are going to be visiting his (retired) parents in Fort Lauderdale for a week in January, but we'd like to escape for a couple of days and go somewhere just the two of us. We've both been to Miami a few times, so we'd like to go somewhere new. However, I'm completely unfamiliar with Florida outside of the Miami/Fort Lauderdale area. Most of the cities I've researched seem to be very retirement focused, but we'd like something a bit more hip, with people more in our age range (late 20s/early 30s). Our main priorities include a nice beach and good food. We were thinking perhaps Key West, but we're open to any and all suggestions! 

Susyn from Fort Lauderdale

Serena, Miami and Fort Lauderdale aren't retirement focused at all! Au contraire! The best beach to walk and bike along is in Hollywood (Florida). There is nightlife here but it's more family focused. Fort Lauderdale has a nice beach and tons of nightlife -- for what you describe,  I would recommend Fort Lauderdale beach. Now, when you are doing research for where to stay, a lot of places say they are in Fort Lauderdale but actually are in adjourning cities like Dania Beach, Hallandale Beach, Pompano BeachDeerfield Beach -- to get the hip Fort Lauderdale business, and those cities are better choices for retirees but are NOT in Fort Lauderdale.  You will walk properties located on A1A south of E Oakland Park Blvd down to  SE 17th St Causeway. The SE 17th St Causeway from A1A west to the Intracoastal Highway will be a good choice for hotels, too ( and a little more affordable than directly on the beach but fabulous for viewing the yachts on the Intracoastal). Be careful not to pick a Fort Lauderdale imposter and I don't recommend many of the hotels along Federal Highway (also called US1). Feel free to send me specific hotel names/addresses and I will tell you where they really are and what their location reputation and ambience is, okay?

1. Miami (city)
  2. Fort Lauderdale (city)
  3. Hollywood (Florida) (city)
  4. Dania Beach (city)
  5. Hallandale Beach (city)
  6. Pompano Beach (attraction)
  7. Deerfield Beach (city)

Jeff from Pittsburgh

Beach is always a good place to go. If you have never experienced Walt Disney World. It's a great place where adults can be a kid. Epcot and Disney's Animal Kingdom is the two parks I recommend for adult entertainment.

1. Walt Disney World (amusement park)
  2. Epcot (attraction)
  3. Disney's Animal Kingdom (attraction)

Meridith from Fort Lauderdale

Or Islamorada if you don't want to drive all the way to Key West. If you stay in fort lauderdale, Las Olas Boulevard has some good bar options for your age range, near the intersection of SE 3rd Avenue.

1. Islamorada (city)
  2. Las Olas Boulevard (attraction)

nancy from Florida

Key West is so fun!  Went twice this year, stayed at  Banyan Resort and  Lighthouse Court Hotel Both great time-share type resorts that are great and often have specials.  Ate lobster benedict for breakfast at the  Six Toed Cat, Key West and of course did the Key West Duvall Street Crawl. Great Live music and people watching.  Snorkeling on way in Islamorada and Kayak on way back at John Pennekamp Coral Reef Sta Ghost tours are a way to learn about the history.  Can't go wrong with the Keys!

1. John Pennekamp Coral Reef Sta (hotel)
  2. Banyan Resort (hotel)
  3. Lighthouse Court Hotel (hotel)
  4. Six Toed Cat, Key West (restaurant)

Sam from Palm Beach Gardens

Id go for Singer Island near West Palm Beach! They have amazing dining locations as well as a lineup of beautiful hotels right on the beach. Beaches are incredible and it truly feels like a tropical paradise!

1. Singer Island (city)
  2. West Palm Beach (city)

urszula from Florida

Definitely Orlando and maybe Walt Disney World or Universal Studios. Orlando has many amusement parks and activities, I would consider visiting.

1. Orlando (city)
  2. Walt Disney World (amusement park)
  3. Universal Studios (neighborhood)