Jennifer
Garden Grove

Jennifer from Garden Grove asked

Things to do on road trip - Miami to Los Angeles

Hey all!

After many years on the East Coast, I'm finally migrating back west to California at the end of this month! Thus, road trip!

Does anybody have recommendations on cool things to do along the way?

Open to whatever other yummy foods/scenic hikes/camping/landmarks/culture/unique activities would be awesome to do! Big outdoors & foodie person, I am!

Looks like I'll be hitting Florida --> coast of Mississippi --> Louisiana (definitely New Orleans stop) --> Teeeeeexxxxxxxxas (definitely Austin stop)---> hugging the Mexico Border ---> New Mexico ---> Arizona ---> Southwest Cali ---> LA

Flexible and open-minded, so I'm open to any recommendations!

Florida   Georgia (State)   Louisiana   Alabama   Mississippi   Texas   New Mexico   Arizona   California

Ernst from Long Island (New York)

I can suggest some stops after Austin: San Antonio The Alamo and Riverwalk Big Bend National ParkCarlsbad Caverns National Park White Sands National Monument Chiricahua National Monument In Chiricahua, I hiked one of the longer hikes, but it was 6 years ago, so I don't recall which one. Here's a list of hikes in that park: http://www.nps.gov/chir/planyourvisit/upload/Trail%20Guide%2008.pdf

You might have the opportunity to see a coatimundi in Chiricahua. Parts of southern Arizona are the northernmost part of this animal's range.  I saw a couple on the road as I drove into the park.Saguaro National ParkI don't have in depth knowledge of these places. I've been to most of them once and never to Austin or Guadalupe Mountains (Guadalupe Mtns might have severe winter weather). Watching the large colony of bats leave Carlsbad Caverns at dusk is amazing, but it only happens Spring thru fall, so you may be a bit too early for that. If you want to explore the caverns, be sure to check on their hours.

Jennifer
Awesome! Thanks so much! Definitely going to check out caverns and those parks out!