M

Flores Island, Komodo National Park

Where to see Komodo Dragons in Indonesia?

I would really like to visit and see Komodo dragons while in Indonesia.

I heard of two different places - the Komodo National Park and Rinca Island. Which one is better and how to get to both from Bali?

Also, I heard the island of Flores is a must do. What would you recommend to see there?

Tracy from Singapore

You may see the Komodo dragons in both island. The population in Komodo island itself is actually higher but because of the island which is more hills and bigger, so it will be more difficult to spot one. While in Rinca island, it has lower population of the Komodo but because the island is also smaller, the possibility is higher. I went to Komodo Islands twice and both times I spotted the Komodo Dragon in Rinca while in Komodo Island itself only once.

I did a Flores overland and overseas trip two months ago which covered the must-go places around the island. If you don't mind of travelling long journey (3-4 hours or even 6 hrs), you may try the following spots. Start from Ende and end at Komodo Island.

1. Kelimutu for the three colors crater lake (walk about 30-45 minutes)

2. Bajawa for the Moni Traditional village

3. Penggajawa for the blue stone beach

4. Ruteng for the spider web paddy field (trek about 30 minutes uphill)

5. Manggarai Regency for the Waerebo Village (trek 9 km mostly uphill about 3-4 hrs through the rainforest - a nice trek although tiring. :))

6. Aimere to see how the make the 'Arak' - the local alcohol beverage

7. Komodo Island stay overnight on the boat and island hoping to your heart-contented. :)

Have fun! :)

1. Kelimutu (attraction)
  2. Bajawa (attraction)
  3. Penggajawa (attraction)
  4. Ruteng (attraction)
  5. Manggarai Regency (attraction)
  6. Aimere (attraction)
  7. Komodo Island (attraction)

Cindy from Rochester (New York)

I never got to see any Komodo Dragons but this might be a good place to check out: http://www.adventureindonesia.com/komodo-welcome.htm

As for Flores IslandBajawa has some awesome hot springs that you should visit! 

1. Flores Island (city)
  2. Bajawa (attraction)