Mira

Florence

Where to shop in Florence?

Finally taking my dream trip to Florence in May of 2014 and I can't wait to shop there! Don't worry, I'm going to museums, restaurants, etc., too. but I just want to make sure I hit the stores, too! So tell me--where should I go? I'm mostly looking for Italian fashion. Nothing too fancy like Prada or Armani though!

Victoria from Riga

Mira, you should definitely go to:

• Gianni Chiarini (Via della Vigna Nuova, 52, Florence, Italy). Bags, belts, other leather accessories for good price. It is one of most recognized local brand. All goods are made right in Florence.
  • My fave secret store is Bottega Giotti (Piazza Ognissanti, 3, Firenze, Italy) for the Bottega Veneta style braided leather bags, but way less expensive than BV. They are pricey, but it is a true handcraft with the factory in the same building since the 50's. 
  • Boutique Nadine (Lungarno Acciaiuoli 22r, 50123 Firenze) for vintage and special fashion accessories finds. They have another store in Via de' Benci 32r.
  • Dixie (via Panzani 26r) if you like things like Zadig & Voltaire.
  • For gifts, clothing and acessories check Maestri di Fabrica (Borgo degli Albizi 68r). That also have a very nice coffee shop in there.

1. Gianni Chiarini (attraction)
  2. Bottega Giotti (attraction)
  3. Boutique Nadine (attraction)
  4. Dixie (attraction)
  5. Maestri di Fabrica (attraction)

Oleg from Sacramento

Hi Mira,

Some of the best Italian fashion in Florence is from brands that you've probably never heard of. So, ignore the brands, and focus on the material, cut and design. For example, my favorite shoe store is in Piazza San Lorenzo.  Not well-known brands in the US, but fantastic shoes. Florence is a tiny city, so just wander and window shop, until something strikes your fancy.

1. Piazza San Lorenzo (attraction)

Sara from Florence

I will let you on a secret. A road that is mostly known only to Florentines, because is "a little out" of the centre ;)

It is Via Vincenzo Gioberti, a road full of small boutiques, mostly with italian or local design. Good shopping!!

1. Via Vincenzo Gioberti (attraction)

Charles

Mercato di San Lorenzo is a good place to shop.

1. Mercato di San Lorenzo (attraction)

Dan from London

Mira - there are a ton of outlet stores in the Florence vicinity. At outlet prices, why wouldn't you want to buy Prada, Gucci, Valentino, etc...? :) To get to the outlets you will either have to rent a car and drive out to the outlets (which isn't as daunting as one may think) or you can catch one of the tour buses that takes tourists out there. The latter doesn't give you as much time to peruse but does make it less "stressful" as you don't have to drive. There are also outlet type stores in Firenze central too - one of my favorite being Luisa Via Roma which has a couple stores around the city.