Erie

Florence

Student Hangouts in Florence

I'm going to be spending fall semester in Florence & i was wondering where Italian university students hang out! I would like to meet as many Italian friends as possible, as I am in the process of strengthening my Italian language skills. I am also interested in meeting people (especially students) who are from all over the world! Just wondering if there were any areas or particular places (hostels/clubs/cafés) or events (August through beginning of December) that international students tend to flock to, particularly those that are French-Speaking or English-Speaking.

Caterina from Florence

Dear Katie,

unfortunately I'm not a student anymore but I'm from Florence and I know that La Cité Libreriacafè (La Cité Libreriacafè) is a good cafè/bar for reading a book, studying, listening to a live act and making friends (university students hang out there as well).

You will have plenty of time to make friends and become familiar with Florence, but I have 3 other ideas to share with you:

1) Caffè Letterario (Le Murate Caffè Letterario)

2) Zoe Bar (Zoe Bar)

3) The area between Piazza Santo Spirito, Santa Croce and San Niccolo.

Have a great time in Florence ;-)

Caterina

1. Piazza Santo Spirito (attraction)
  2. Santa Croce (attraction)
  3. San Niccolo (neighborhood)
  4. La Cité Libreriacafè (attraction)
  5. Caffè Letterario (attraction)
  6. Zoe Bar (attraction)

Allison

Florence is flooded with international students, especially Americans (I was one of them). You will find English speakers everywhere you go and the bars in Santa Croce are always busy. Many young locals are often annoyed with drunk American students and tend to keep to themselves.  I suggest checking out some online communities like couchsurfing and arrange to meet a local for coffee or to show you around and practice your Italian skills :).  Enjoy!

Sara from Florence

Piazza Santa Croce is the place for you! There are a lot of bars and pubs where you can meet nice people. My favourite are Soul Kitchen bar in Via de'Benci, FUK in Via Verdi, and Rex bar. They are not for tourists but more for locals so you can practice your Italian ;)

Another nice area is Via Faenza you can try bars and pubs, people are very friendly there!

1. Piazza Santa Croce (attraction)
  2. Via Faenza (attraction)