Nare

Florence, Italy

Safety in Florence for solo travelers?

How safe is the city for solo female travellers? Especially at night - say going out for dinner? Of course, this is assuming that common sense is being used!!

As part of a solo train trip through  Tuscany, Umbria and Emilia-Romagna last Autumn I spent 3 nights in Florence. I found it perfectly safe and never felt uncomfortable at any time. I generally left the hotel early in the morning (6am) to take photographs as the markets opened and was often out late for dinner. At any time of year Florence is full of tourists and there are very few empty dark alleys to wander into. Be mindful of potential pickpockets at the Santa Maria Novella station but otherwise you should be fine. In general I found Italy to be safe for female solo travellers, even Rome or Milan as long as you are aware of your surroundings. Italian people are a friendly bunch too!

1. Tuscany (state)
  2. Umbria (attraction)
  3. Emilia-Romagna (state)
  5. Santa Maria Novella (attraction)
  7. Milan (city)

Totally safe. As others have suggested, watch yourself around the train station and anytime you're in close quarters with a lot of people. Pickpockets. Most importantly, if travelling by train, watch your luggage. Keep it in sight. Mine was over my head and got stolen between Rome and Florence! & I fancy myself a safe and somewhat experienced traveler. Enjoy yourself it's a great city.

Nare from London

Just got back from my 5 day trip to Florence and it was absolutely fine - like all the answers that were posted here stated. Of course, mind the peddlers and keep your bag safely secured and use common sense. I carried a backpack but had my wallet deep inside so even I couldn't access it easily. Keep a photocopy of your documents with you but your originals in the hotel safe. In the night, avoid alleys and stick to the main roads which are FULL of tourists anyway so it isn't isolated and lonely. Actually, Florence at night is beautiful so it will be a shame to not experience it - especially music at Ponte Vecchio. Thanks all for answering my question and I hope future travellers will find these equally useful, Grazie!!

2. Ponte Vecchio (attraction)

aastha from Jaipur

Hey... i stayed in florence for 3 months...though its safe in general, i mostly found trouble as in italian men being too friendly. From a 20 year old man to 50 will flirt with you. Just learn to walk out even if its rude. Just laugh abt it later and assume it like a flattery. Once a group of guys bugged me in middle of a crowded place, the guy had guts to take iPod from my ear and ask me "what r u listening to sweetie".  I got very scared, but again I just walked off really fast.

Anyways florence is beautiful, in general people r nice. Enjoy your time there!

I'd say it's pretty safe. You just need to be mindful of the common "big city" crime like pickpockets and don't buy any fake name brand stuff, it is a crime!

Caterina from Florence

Downtown Florence (except for the station) is safe as my room is ;-) Single girls or women can park their cars anywhere before dinner and get back home alone at 4 AM. I have been doing this since I was 18. Have fun!

Cassandra from Long Island (New York)

Hi! I lived in Florence for three years as a single girl waking to and from work everyday (even late at night). I also have a travel business and haven't had a problem yet. Just like any other city be smart and use a shoulder strap purse or bag or no purse at all and you will be just fine !

Sondra from Canada

Be smart - you will be fine. Must go to Santa Maria Novella Pharmacy 

http://www.atlasobscura.com/places/santa-maria-novella-pharmacy

When I was there, I hured a driver, Leonardo, I have used him everytime I went to Florence ( 3 times) , I went to Siena, Prada outlet, etc...  you can feel safe with this drivers service. Email me if you need details. 

Enjoy your vacation to Florence.

2. Siena (city)
  3. Prada outlet (attraction)

Kathy from Wilmington

Agree with the comments re: generally safe and very walkable.  But do watch out for pick pockets/ petty theft.  dont carry a big bag, just a couple of cards in your pockets will be fine.  

Aileen from Saint Thomas, Ontario

The old city is very safe. There are lots of people walking and enjoying the city at night.