Shauna asked

Route Ideas Needed - Frankfurt to Florence

In August 2019 my husband and I are flying into Frankfurt with 4 nights to drive to Florence. We arrive in the afternoon and want to stay overnight in a small/quaint town outside Frankfurt where we can rest up and hit the road on Tuesday morning. We are meeting friends Friday afternoon in Florence. Interested in suggestions for where to stop and where to stay along the way to maximize quaint towns and sights and overall experience.

Frankfurt (Germany) Florence (Italy)

Kim from Birmingham (England)
I would drive straight from Frankfurt to Rothenburg ob der Tauber for your first night’s stay. Beautifully preserved medieval town on the Romantic Road. Perhaps visit nearby Dinkelsbühl if time permits.
Then I would drive to Garmisch Partenkirchen, visiting Neuschwanstein Castle en route. If you can afford the time to stay for a night in Garmisch Partenkirchen there is masses to see in that area - you will need to choose as you won’t have much time. I love Linderhof Castle, the abbey at Ettal and Oberammergau. You could take a chairlift ride up the Zugspitz mountain.
Then I would drive to Innsbruck in Austria. Lots to see there too. Don’t miss the Golden Roof and Wilton Basilica. 
At that point I would ditch the car and take a train to Verona, then finally a train from Verona to Florence. If you have time for a night in Verona there is masses to see there too.