Courtney

Florence

Restaurants in Florence

For some reason every time I go to Florence I have horrible luck with meals. I'm determined to go there next time armed with a list of great restaurants to try. Anyone have any ideas???

I asked the woman at the tourist information center and she told me to eat on the south side of the river for the best restaurants.  It proved true.  Though we enjoyed coffee and gelato on the northern, more touristy side of the Ponte Vecchio, once we crossed it, we found narrow shop-lined streets and a great selection of restaurants.

We ate at the Borgo Antico on the Piazza Santo Spirito and had one of the best meals of our entire trip.  The prices are reasonable, the service is good, and the ambience is relaxed and nice.  I'd absolutely go back there on my next trip.

Also, a friend in Florence just told me of Il Santo Bevitore in the Oltrarno area.  He calls it "one of the best Tuscan restaurants in Florence" and he knows his food.  It's not overly touristy (yet) either, so go before the word spreads.

Do ask locals.  They want you to have a great experience in their country and will honestly recommend a good place for you.

1. Borgo Antico (restaurant)
  2. Il Santo Bevitore (restaurant)
  3. Ponte Vecchio (attraction)

Jeff from Los Angeles

For an elegant dinner, try Ristorante Alle Murate, via del Proconsolo 16/r. The restaurant is set in a 13th century guild hall, remodeled in modern Italian style with restored ancient ceilings and walls. The food is excellent. Romantic location. Website: http://www.allemurate.it/home.html

1. Ristorante Alle Murate (restaurant)

Jillian from Los Angeles

My favorite place in all of Florence is Golden View Open Bar. Reserve a table a few days in advance by the window for an amazing view of the Ponte VecchioOrder yourself some Chianti and try the Gorgonzola Gnocchi. Trust me on this one. :)

1. Golden View Open Bar (restaurant)
  2. Ponte Vecchio (attraction)

Sara from Florence

Hi Courtney! I found this list of restaurants and I quite agree with these suggestions!

http://www.sanfirenzesuites.com/best-restaurants-in-florence

For pizza I would add the L'Osteria Di Giovanni near Santa Maria Novella and among the Osteria I would put the Vinaino Fiorenza in PIazza dell'Olio, near the Duomo. Maybe the Il chicco di Caffé in Piazza Santo Spirito and the Trattoria La Casalingait's been a long time since I ate there... You were very unlucky, everybody loves to eat in Florence!!

1. L'Osteria Di Giovanni (restaurant)
  2. Vinaino Fiorenza (restaurant)
  3. Il chicco di Caffé (restaurant)
  4. Trattoria La Casalinga (restaurant)

Charles

Trattoria Angiolino in the Oltrarno.

1. Trattoria Angiolino (restaurant)