Cynthia
Amersfoort

Florence, Siena, Cinque Terre, Pisa, Lucca

Nice local restaurants or bars + popular cultural sightseeing places?

Together with my parents I am going on a trip in Italy. We would like to have a combination of the popular touristic sightseeing places + visiting some local shops, bars and restaurants. The touristic places are for my parents the local places are for me! 

We will be in all places for a couple of days. 

Thanks you in advance! 

Roni from Dallas

For Florence, I'd also add Il Latini to the list of restaurants, but agree with Kelly's recommendations, Trattoria 4 Leoni. As for Siena, I would recommend Taverna di San Giuseppe for dinner.  I'd also recommend Trattoria la Torre- just off Piazza del campo. It's very rustic but with incredible hand made pastas - the owner is a character but the food is great!   Also in Siena a great restaurant for lunch or dinner is Ristorante Taverna Di Cecco.  Another great option in Siena with great views is:  Pizzeria Di Nonno Mede (great pastas and pizza).  For tourist destinations in Siena, definitely visit the Siena Cathedral and climb up on to the unfinished wall portion - you'll have the most incredible view of Siena and the surrounding countryside. Just wander the beautiful winding streets, visit the Piazza del Campo, the Palazzo Pubblico (V. Anche Museo Civico) and the Santa Maria della Scala - museum - amazing frescos. 

Enjoy the trip!

1. Il Latini (restaurant)
  2. Trattoria 4 Leoni (restaurant)
  3. Taverna di San Giuseppe (restaurant)
  4. Trattoria la Torre (restaurant)
  5. Ristorante Taverna Di Cecco (restaurant)
  6. Pizzeria Di Nonno Mede (restaurant)
  7. Siena Cathedral (attraction)
  8. Piazza del Campo (attraction)
  9. Palazzo Pubblico (V. Anche Museo Civico) (attraction)
  10. Santa Maria della Scala (attraction)

Kelly from Rome

Hi Cynthia, I can offer some recommendations of great local place to eat in Florence

Not far from the Stazione Santa Maria Novella there is a great local joint only open for lunch Trattoria Mario and can get crowded by local business owners and tourists alike and only has a few tables, so get there early, it's worth the experience.

Nearby is also a great small place hidden in an alley just behind Piazza del Duomocalled Fiaschetteria Nuvoli. You can stop here for a glass of wine or even for a simple old fashioned typical Tuscan meal during the day or early evening (they close at 9 pm).

Across the river there are also some wonderful options. One that you and your family would both surely enjoy is stopping off in Piazza della Passera, where you can enjoy small piazza neighborhood life and have a drink before or after dinner at Caffè degli Artigiani Gelateria della Passera (the bar is on one side of the square and the gelateria is just opposite). Then you can have dinner at either the more upscale Trattoria 4 Leoni or my preference is at 5ecinque, which has more fun variations on different kinds of food from around Italy and not just Florence and Tuscany (you have to try the cecina with stracchino if you go here, it will blow your mind!)

If you are around the Ponte Vecchio late afternoon but it's too early for dinner, stop off in Santa Felícita and pop your head into the church to see the gorgeous Pontormo fresco. Then you can take a load off at Le volpi e l'uva and try some of their outstanding wines and don't forget to have them pair them with some excellent local cheeses to make the experience outstanding.

I don't want to overwhlem you, so these are a few good spots that you are likely to really enjoy that are reliable for good food and high quality and easy to get to. Both you and your family should enjoy the atmosphere at any of these places.

Buon viaggio!

2. Stazione Santa Maria Novella (attraction)
  3. Trattoria Mario (restaurant)
  4. Piazza del Duomo (attraction)
  5. Fiaschetteria Nuvoli (restaurant)
  6. Caffè degli Artigiani Gelateria della Passera (attraction)
  7. Trattoria 4 Leoni (restaurant)
  8. 5ecinque (attraction)
  9. Ponte Vecchio (attraction)
  10. Santa Felícita (attraction)
  11. Le volpi e l'uva (attraction)