Erfan
Charlotte

Florence

Favorite/Best hotel in Florence?

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone had any tips on where to stay (what hotel) while in Florence? I will be going there in October for my honeymoon and trying to find a place that has a good location and reasonably priced. Any input is welcome!

Thanks for all the help!

Hi Erfan,

I spent some time in Florence last year and stayed at the Room Mate Luca hotel, which was very well located, within walking distance of everywhere and right in the middle of town, 10 minutes walk to the Santa Maria Novella Basilica and station. It is a small boutique hotel with really  friendly staff and a laid-back feel. The rooms are quite small so book the largest you can afford and on the highest floor, as there is a high building opposite which partly obscures the light on lower floors.  Otherwise there are plenty of chain hotels in Florence  (some very expensive) and lots of good airbnb options too.  On another occasion I stayed in Bologna and commuted by train to Florence which is very do-able - 35 mins by train. Hotels are better value and you avoid the crowds, and Bologna is a great town to visit.

2. Room Mate Luca (hotel)
  3. Santa Maria Novella (attraction)
  5. Bologna (city)
  7. Bologna (city)

Beatrice from Florence

Hi Erfan! I was born in Florence and have been working in hotels for 15 years now. Florence is packed with all kinds of places to stay so it really depends on the accomodation you are looking for (2/3/4/5 stars? Boutique, modern or traditional hotel? In the very centre or on the hills?). The last hotel I worked for is Hotel Brunelleschi, next to the Duomo which is amazing but also very expensive; another luxury hotel I would recommend is Belmond Villa San Michele, on the hills around Florence (only 20 minutes with public bus from the main train station). If you can't afford them (like me!) at least go and have dinner (or aperitivo!) at one of them, you will not regret it!

In the centre I also worked for Palazzo Ruspoli Bed & Breakfast, cozy BB facing the Duomo, more affordable. Also Porta Rossais a fine hotel in the very centre of Florence.

Consider checking some places in the Chianti area: the Agriturismo over there might be a good option as the weather in October is still warm, you will be only 30 minutes from Florence and the landscape is very romantic.

Last thing: October is very high season in Florence, if your budget is low, you might want to check some Airbnb accommodation (there are some very nice apartments on display).

Let me know if you need any further help!

1. Hotel Brunelleschi (hotel)
  2. Belmond Villa San Michele (hotel)
  3. Palazzo Ruspoli Bed & Breakfast (hotel)
  4. Porta Rossa (attraction)

BB la Dimora degli Angeli. Fabulous boutique hotel one block from the Duomo with a view. Each room has fabulous and functional antiques, windows that open wi th a view of the Duomo and city center and a shared kitchenette with coffee and fresh fruit. Each morning you get a huge breakfast at one of two local restaurants with coffee and juice. It was clean, comfy, and spacious.

1. BB la Dimora degli Angeli (hotel)
  2. Duomo (attraction)

Will from Windsor Heights, Iowa

For our honeymoon we stayed at Davanzati Hotel and found it to be very reasonable, great location, clean, and managed by a professional staff. At the time (2012) it was family owned and run. The grandfather, son, and grandson were all involved in the day to day and worked the desk. Only negative I can think of is the second floor main level. Must climb stairs or take elevator to get to the lobby. I would book there again on a return to Florence.  

https://www.hoteldavanzati.it/new/booking/

1. Davanzati Hotel (hotel)