Dominic
Princeton (New Jersey)

Flagstaff, Sedona

Day trips from Flagstaff?

A friend and I will be visiting a high school friend who lives in Flagstaff for 10 days in March.  He'll still be working and he's not taking any days off, so while he's doing that, we were wondering if there were any places close to Flagstaff to visit for a day trip.  We'd be open to an overnight trip too if it's necessary.  I see that Sedona is really close by.  Anything cool to do there?  Or any other areas we should look into?

Nicole from Walnut Creek

Hi Dominic!

I lived in Flagstaff for 5 years so I can (hopefully) give you some good advice on places to go. March will be pretty tricky depending on the weather (super unpredictable during that time - could be a ton of snow, could be beautiful with no clouds).

1.  Sedona is a must. Depending on what types of activities you are looking to do - there are plenty of things to do and see. You can go on hikes - some more popular ones include to  Bell Rock Trail or  Chapel of the Holy Cross.  You can also visit all the little stores in Old Sedona.

2.  Antelope Canyon - This is located a few hours from Flagstaff but it is BEAUTIFUL. You have to schedule a tour with a company in Page - there are a lot along the main street of the city, but I would recommend booking one in advance. There are also many tour times during each day. 

3.  Flagstaff Nordic Center - you can go snowshoeing or cross-country skiing if you are into that sort of thing.

4.  Lowell Observatory - if its a clear night, you can see whatever planets they are showing. Also they do some presentations on the Solar System. Took me 4 years to get up here and I am sad I didnt get up there sooner.

5.  Weatherford Hotel -So this isn't a day trip anywhere, but this could possibly be the best bar to visit if you are looking for a low key night (or day). Ask for an "Oh Ya!". Can't go wrong. (Just don't drink too many as they cause massive hangovers). Also they give endless popcorn - A win in my book.

6.  Grand Canyon National Park - This is a given since you are so close. I would recommend going the extra distance and seeing the  Grand Canyon National Park - North Rim

That is a start to my list - If i think of any others i will let you know.

PS I am jealous you get to go!

Nicole

1. Sedona (city)
  2. Bell Rock Trail (attraction)
  3. Chapel of the Holy Cross (attraction)
  4. Antelope Canyon (park)
  5. Lowell Observatory (attraction)
  6. Weatherford Hotel (hotel)
  7. Grand Canyon National Park (park)
  8. Grand Canyon National Park - North Rim (attraction)
  9. Flagstaff Nordic Center (attraction)

Joey from Chicago

You should definitely check out Firecreek Coffee Company. It is an awesome shop and if you need a few beers, Flagstaff Brewing Companynext door is fantastic too.

1. Firecreek Coffee Company (restaurant)
  2. Flagstaff Brewing Company (restaurant)

Hayden from Cleveland

Sedona is awesome. There are a lot of trails to hike and it is overall just a really amazing place. 

1. Sedona (city)