Barbara

Fairbanks

What do I wear to aurora ice museum and hot springs

Going to Fairbanks on a tour of the aurora ice house and hot springs. What do I bring because the ice house is freezing but you can also go in the hot springs  I would like to be prepared for both experiences

Tracey from Alaska

Hi Barbara!  You should be fine with just a light jacket--it will likely be in the 60s and 70s, or even 80s outside if you come in the summer.  It is +25F inside the Ice House--rather balmy compared to typical temperatures in Fairbanks in the winter.  :-)  They have parkas you can use if it's too cold inside the ice house.  When traveling in Alaska in the summer it is good to have some layers you can put on--light fleece jacket, rain jacket, long- and short-sleeve shirts.  Temperatures can vary quite a bit, especially if it is rainy.

Doug from Saint Augustine

Depending on WHEN you are going, keeping in mind that Fairbanks experiences both the hottest and coldest temperatures in Alaska.  The best answer for any time of the year is to LAYER your clothing.  A medium weight jacket always works with the proper under garments (long sleeve T-shirt, light sweater, long sleeve shirt you can remove).  That way you can adjust appropriately to the climate.  If you or your companion have even a modest interest in cars and/or automotive history please try to visit the Fountainhead Antique Auto Museum.  It is one of the coolest auto museums I have ever visited.  

1. Fountainhead Antique Auto Museum (attraction)

Katy

Shorts