Janet
Emerald Hills, Ca

Fairbanks

Lodging to see Northern Lights in Fairbanks?

Any suggestions on a place to stay in Fairbanks to be well situated to see the northern lights? 

Heather from Memphis

Check out Chena Hot Springs Resort: http://www.chenahotsprings.com

Crystal from Anchorage

Hello Janet,

The northern lights are super exciting and I hope you get a chance to see them! A good thing to know is that if you are in the city of Fairbanks, the lights will be pretty faint due to the light pollution of the houses and buildings. So there are a couple of options I suggest:

You could stay at any hotel you like in the city and during the dark hours (most of the time in winter) you could drive a rental car around outside of the city, take a northern lights tour, or get in a taxi and have them take you somewhere. By the UAF campus is not a bad spot that is still in town, but the less artificial light, the better the view! I think the Westmark Hotel is the tallest one in town, so you may want to try to get an upper level room there. Like I said, the lights will probably be feint from your room, but probably still visible if they decide to come out!

There are also lots of cabins for rent just outside of the city, many which advertise that they are a good spot for the lights. You could do a general internet search or look at AirBnB's list:

https://www.airbnb.com/s/Fairbanks--AK--United-States?guests=&checkin=&checkout=&ss_id=9r7cl3q4&source=bb

I would book soon to have the best choices available!

Some people also go out to Chena Hot Springs Resort, about an hour outside of the city. In addition to the hot springs there is a pretty cool ice museum. When I stayed there I didn't have a room that would have been good for viewing the lights from inside, but as I recall their restaurant and bar had some good windows for viewing the sky. Side note- I also had a bad customer service experience there and had some pretty rude staff, but that might have been a one-off.

Other than that hope for no clouds or fog, and that they decide to show themselves during your visit.

Happy travels!

Crystal

1. Chena Hot Springs Resort (hotel)