Harpreet
New Delhi, India

Europe, Rome, Venice, Florence, Amsterdam, Bruges, Luxembourg City, Paris

Best itinerary to visit Europe - 15 days

What could be the best itinerary to visit Europe for about 15 days?

I am planning a trip to Europe from India and have this in mind -> Delhi-Rome-Venice-Florence-Amsterdam-Bruge/Luxembourg-Paris-Delhi

Is this a good itinerary?  Is there anything I should skip or add?  All suggestions and recommendations welcome.

Renate from San Francisco Bay Area

Hi, Harpreet,

This is a lot in 15 days. Each of these cities deserves so much more of your time. I would definitely leave at least two, and maybe three or four cities off of this list so that you may have a little more time to enjoy the ones that are most important to you.

If it were my choice, taking into account the two days of travelling at the beginning and end of the trip, I would probably do something like the following:

This itinerary cuts out 3 of your destinations but may present for you a much less hectic trip with more time enjoying and experiencing and less time in train stations and airports, less time packing and unpacking, less time trying to see "everything." You can't do it. Let that go and enjoy your top 3 or 4 places.

If Amsterdam and Bruges are more important than Italy, you could fly to Paris for 4 or so days and then take Thalys train to Brussels where you would change to go to Bruges. It's a little tricky to get there but so worth it. Stay two nights or so (and make sure to have french fries with mayonnaise and mussels), then head back to Brussels and catch the Thalys to Amsterdam. The priorities in Amsterdam would be the Rijksmuseum Amsterdam, the Van Gogh Museum, and Anne Frank House. (There are long lines at all of these so just be prepared.) Eat herring from a street vendor. 

Whatever you do, keep Paris.

Take very good care and have a wonderful time!

2. Colosseum (attraction)
  3. St. Peter's Basilica (attraction)
  5. Florence Cathedral (attraction)
  6. Piazza della Signoria (attraction)
  7. Gallery of The Academy (attraction)
  8. Ponte Vecchio (attraction)
  9. Boboli Gardens (attraction)
  10. San Marco Square (attraction)
  11. Grand Canal (attraction)
  12. Basilica di San Marco (attraction)
  13. Doge's Palace (attraction)
  14. Murano Island (attraction)
  16. Venice Marco Polo Airport (attraction)
  17. Eiffel Tower (attraction)
  18. La Seine (attraction)
  19. The Louvre (attraction)
  20. Amsterdam (city)
  21. Bruges (city)
  22. Brussels (city)
  23. Rijksmuseum Amsterdam (attraction)
  24. Van Gogh Museum (attraction)
  25. Anne Frank House (attraction)

Antonio is right. 15 days is incredibly short to explore a continent and you have to take into consideration travel time to each place as well, so several of those days may end up being travel days.

May be you could focus on your interests. If you want to get a quick overview of European culture, may be just do Berlin, Budapest, Paris, Barcelona, and Rome. That gives you 5 countries with very different food, customs, and cultures to explore and 2+ days in each. I wouldn't add any more than five locations or you will won't be able to relax and really enjoy it. As it is, this is a pretty busy itinerary.

Here are a couple regional alternatives that may be fun:

1. Berlin, Prague, Krakow, Budapest, Vienna

2. Amsterdam, Brugge and Brussels, Luxembourg, and Paris (May be add in Aachen if you have time.)

3. Porto, Madrid, Valencia, Marseille or Paris

4. Rome, Venice, Florence and may be head up to Switzerland

Bottom line: The less places you go, the more you'll enjoy those few places that you do see.

1. Berlin (city)
  2. Budapest (city)
  4. Barcelona (city)
  6. Prague (city)
  7. Krakow (city)
  8. Vienna (city)
  9. Amsterdam (city)
  10. Brugge (attraction)
  11. Brussels (city)
  12. Luxembourg (country)
  13. Aachen (city)
  14. Porto (city)
  15. Madrid (city)
  16. Valencia (city)
  17. Marseille (city)
  20. Switzerland (country)

Antonio from Buenos Aires

hi Harpreet. well, 15 days to discover Europe. wow. you should choose just one region. Italy, Spain, France. but also Balkans, Scandinavia, Eastern countries, Germany and Poland, Ireland and London.

I try, anyway, considering just the major cities.

London, Paris, Milan, Venice, Vienna and Prague. it's too much, but it's a solution that makes geografically sense and with good transport connections.

otherwise, London, Paris, Amsterdam. or Berlin, Prague, Venice. or Lisbon, Madrid, Paris.

uff. too much, definitely. let's say you better choose a country, then come back to Europe more times.

with love, Anto.

1. Italy (country)
  2. Spain (country)
  3. France (country)
  4. Balkans (region)
  5. Scandinavia (metro area)
  6. Germany (country)
  7. Poland (country)
  8. Ireland (country)
  11. Milan (city)
  13. Prague (city)
  14. Amsterdam (city)
  15. Berlin (city)
  16. Lisbon (city)
  17. Madrid (city)
  18. Vienna (city)

Kirsten from Chicago

Are you traveling by yourself? I think this is an ambitious itinerary, but I can appreciate your desire to see so many places at once. On our honeymoon we went to 13 cities in 23 days. We went to Paris to Bern to Florence to Rome to Venice to Munich to Salzburg to Vienna to Prague to Berlin to Amsterdam to Brussels to Bruges and back to Paris. It was a lot to see, but it allowed us a taste of the major cities and we have since returned to the ones we really enjoyed. So I say stick with your itinerary if those are the sights you really want to see (although I have heard Luxembourg is over-rated, sorry) and make it happen. You will enjoy every minute because you're on vacation!

2. Bern (city)
  6. Munich (city)
  7. Salzburg (city)
  8. Vienna (city)
  9. Prague (city)
  10. Berlin (city)
  11. Amsterdam (city)
  12. Brussels (city)
  13. Luxembourg (country)
  14. Bruges (city)

Pat

I think its too much! I would cut out Amsterdam-Bruge/Luxembourg. Spend at least - 3 days in Rome, 2 in Venice, 3 in Florence and 5-6 in Paris, with travel days that will take up your 15 days. I could spend 15 days in Italy easily - or 15 days in Paris!!

stephanie from Nixa

I agree with all of the other suggestions. Its best to focus on what kind of experience you want and then try to decide. If its culture, food, history, etc.Too much travel can be overwhelming and it can sour the experience. Also, too much time on trains or planes  isn't ideal. Out of your picks my favorites are Rome, Brugge and Paris. In Rome they now have the Colosseum open at night for tours and its amazing! I always love Brugge its so romantic and nice to walk around day or night. In my opinion if you only have a short time and have to be picky Luxembourg can be missed. If you want to go to Amsterdam to party they have a lot to offer. An experience we just enjoyed there was the newly renovated museum. In Rijksmuseum Amsterdamthe Rijksmuseum Amsterdam, but really if your not going to party or enjoy the legal activities that are offered or want a specific museum experience like the rijks, Anne Frank House, Van Gogh Museum, etc Amsterdam can be skipped. In Paris you have The Louvre and we loved the walking tour -http://www.newparistours.com. The good thing is that this is a good problem to have and there are a lot of good choices on your list. Enjoy! 

2. Brugge (attraction)
  4. Colosseum (attraction)
  5. Rijksmuseum Amsterdam (attraction)
  6. Anne Frank House (attraction)
  7. Van Gogh Museum (attraction)
  8. The Louvre (attraction)

Kristel

I like your itinary. In Belgium I would swich Bruge for Antwerp or Brussels since Bruge is quite simiral to Amsterdam.

Tips: use couchsurfing :)

And use it maps: http://www.use-it.travel/home

1. Belgium (country)
  2. Antwerp (city)
  3. Brussels (city)
  4. Amsterdam (city)

Sanne from Spain

Hi Harpreet,

With only 15 days you won't have much time in each city. This article about Rome might help to make the most out of your short stay in Rome: http://www.spendlifetraveling.com/24-hours-in-rome-italy

I would consider skipping Bruges and / or Luxembourg so that you have more time for a large city such as Paris (doing Paris in just 2 days will be really difficult!)

I hope you have a great trip!

1. Bruges (city)
  2. Luxembourg (metro area)

Shub from Brussels

This is what I have planned for this summer. I live in Brussels and have visitors:

New Delhi to Brussels

Brussels (day trip to Brugesand back): 2 days

Brussels to Rome (by Air): 2 days

Rome to Province of Florence(by train): 1 day

Florence to Milan (by train; day trip to Venice and back): 2 days

Milan to Zurich (by tain; day trip to somewhere close and back): 2 days

Zurich to Paris (by train): 3 days

Paris to Brussels (by train)

Brussels: 2 days

Does anyone have any suggestions to improvise this plan? That will be helpful

1. Brussels (city)
  2. Bruges (city)
  4. Province of Florence (metro area)
  5. Milan (city)
  7. Zurich (city)

Laura from Buenos Aires

It all depends on your tastes. Those are really beautiful cities, I don't know Luxembourg though. 

As you don't have that much time maybe I'd skip Bruge, it's very nice but it requires at least one day.