Joanna

Europe, Barcelona, London

Where should I start my trip to Europe

We wanted to try going to London, Paris, and Spain.  Where would you recommend we start?  London or Spain?

Maria

Spain!! If you're going on summer take a few days to visit Formentera it's a beautiful island. And don't forget to visit Barcelona :D

1. Formentera (city)
  2. Barcelona (city)

Peter from Vienna

This is hard to answer not knowing where you start from. I think it is best to look for the best flights, because that is the simplest thing to do. 

Melinda from Toronto

I would definetly request Athens. There is a beautiful little village pires, greece. They have great food too, and the people are lovely.

1. Athens (city)

Diego from Fortaleza, Brazil

Depends when?? Summer? or already?

John from Carlsbad (California)

You don't say when you are going or where you are flying from.  I would do some research online and see which of the three cities you have the most direct and cheapest flights to and from your airport.  Then figure what transportation is the cheapest and least timely between the cities.  London to/from Paris has great train connections on Eurostar and it is one of the best trains in the world, so you should probably go from one to the other.  Paris to Barcelona by train is going to take 6.5 hours, so to/from Paris would probably be better.  A flight to/from London to a city in Spain would require air travel.  I would let the ease and cost of transportation decide the sequence of travel.

Scott from San Francisco

London is my absolute favorite city.  But one thing I've noticed is that flights into and out of London are more expensive than those into cities who use the Euro as their currency.  This is particularly tough if one wants to use frequent flier miles, the taxes are far less in the Euro zone.  So GO to London, spend the most time there of all your destinations, but fly in and out of the other cities.  

Go To from Barcelona

Both are nice. It depends on the way you want to end your trip. I would maybe prefer to end it in Spain :) Going from the cold to the heat

Michael

I'm biased because I'm a Londoner but London has the advantage of being a foreign country where we speak the same language (sort of!). This will ease your jet lag and make your trip to Spain that much easier and of course you get time to explore the greatest city in the world!

Michael

Eric from Riverbank, California

London then Euro star to Paris, then train to BCN :)

matthew from Paso Robles

You will save yourself a lot of money by starting anywhere except London, the airport taxes are huge compared to anywhere else!

Jose from Fort Worth, Texas

I personally love Spain. But look into eastern Europe where its still beautiful but cheap to stay. Not as expensive as others. Romania I believe just entered the EU. If you really want to get good value for your dollar I'd go Eastern Europe. I just did a trip there for 3 weeks in May. AMAZING

Jennifer from Arnhem

If you have the freedom to let it depend on the weather, try to look at that first. If you don't, I'd just start with London, so the weather will get better during your trip, rather than worse :). 
Also, do you want must-do recommendations?

Denise from Porto Alegre

Certainly, London. You can see there people all over the world. From there, you can take to cities in France, including Paris, from there you can go to Spain.

Shana from San Diego

We did Italy, Paris, London in that order this past summer and it worked out well. Some said it is easier for English speakers to ease into it by going to the UK first but we were fine going the other way. All three areas have something different between them so just enjoy!

Shrirang from Pune

Certainly London. I think it will be easier for you to get your bearings after landing in London and then move on to other places. Logically speaking, London-->Paris (Eurostar) --> Spain --> Fly out can be a preferred itinerary.

If I were you, I would do it little differently. Fly in to London-->Spain-->Paris--> Fly out. Alternatively you can switch fly in to Paris and fly out of London.

Emma from Pickering, Ontario

I guess it depends on what kind of travel/activities you'll be getting up to and where you want to spend the most time / money. I feel that I spend most money and most time in the first city/country I visit because at the top of the trip I tend to be a bit more loose with budget and time as the whole vacation is in front of me and I am naive to the actual cost of things / time it takes to get from place to place etc.

So as London and Paris are more expensive cities starting your trip in Spain will allow you to get your "omg I'm on vacation!!!" spending spree out of the way in a less expensive country maybe?

Though, it would be nice to end with a few beach days in a warmer climate, as busying yourself in the cities will take it out of you and you may wanna chilllll out before returning to reality, I find that's a nice way to wind down.

Also if you don't speak Spanish/French it might be nice to start with London as you'll get your fearless traveler spirit brewing a bit (navigating unknown cities / asking strangers for assistance /guidance etc etc) which will help you be most successful in foreign language countries :)

Sandra from Winston Salem

I started in London. Then a quick ride on the Euro Star. It goes like 100 miles an hour once it gets out of England and their old tracks. You will be in Paris. Then again just a short trip into Madrid from Paris. I envy your upcoming travels.

Javier from Zaragoza

My suggestion is to begin and end by cities with best ticket prices and flight times
In Spain considers at least visit Madrid, Barcelona and Seville, you'll love. two days in each is the reasonable minimum. 3 cities are well connected by high-speed train.

Moe

Start in London...head to Madrid, then train to Barcelona. From Barcelona you take a cheap flight on Vueling to Paris.

Sandra from Portland

Hi Joanna

In my opinion if you begin in Spain you will only be sorry you're not staying longer.  We have been to Barcelona and Seville, both for extended periods. Cannot recommend enough, everything, food, people, places.  We spent 24 hr in London once and that was enough for us.  

DAN from Switzerland

What of the year? How many Days? Interests? 

Sean from Hudson Valley

Hi Joanna,

With all due respect to Maria, I would say fly into London, then go to Paris, and fly back from Spain.

I recommend this because I don't know how extensively you've traveled.  However, when I visit more than one country or region I do so in such a manner that I start with places that will seem most familiar, and end with what is most unlike home.  It's sort of gives the senses a chance to gradually acquaint themselves with the increase of, what I heard referred to as, "Social Hairiness".

You see, I'm from the northeast, and lived 20 years in Boston.  So, much of the British Isles seems like home.  Spain, on the other hand, is unfamiliar to me, in so many wonderful ways. 

Now, for all I know, this perception might be completely reversed is I was from the southwest. 

Also, your money seems to go further in Spain.  This can be helpful toward the end of a journey.

Either way you decide, I hope you enjoy yourself.

Matteo from Turin

Hi Johanna,

I would personally start from London, then I would reach Paris by train, then Spain. But Spain is very large and places to see are not so close each other, what do you plan to see in Spain? One possibility after the frenetics London and Paris could be to fly to Barcelona and then hire a car or move by train along the coast reaching Valencia, relaxing on the outstanding beaches in Cabo de Gata and then Marbella and TarifaIf by then after some relax you are ready to visit cities again you could reach the capital, Madrid, which I always recommend. If there is spare time also the atlantic coast is great, from A Coruna to San Sebastian

3. Barcelona (city)
  4. Valencia (city)
  5. Cabo de Gata (attraction)
  6. Marbella (city)
  7. Tarifa (city)
  8. Madrid (city)
  9. A Coruna (city)
  10. San Sebastian (city)

Hi Joanna,

I would say Spain, then Paris and lastly London. Can you fly into Spain and back from London ?

1. Spain (country)