Kia
Melbourne

Europe

What are the most underrated travel destinations in Europe?

I'm heading to Europe for 4 months.

I've currently got very little plans, besides the fact that I fly into Amsterdam at the end of July.

I don't want to just tick off tourist destination and tourist destination and leave feeling like I've only experienced the surface layer of a country and culture.

I'd love to know of any hidden gems that are not too widely known. Double points for the gems that are cheap and affordable ;)

Mary from Leicester

You are visiting at the height of the high season, so can expect rates across the continent to reflect that fact.

As for 'hidden gems'....well, it all depends on your interests. Europe has a large population (many of whom will be taking their holidays when you do) and few places which are entirely 'undiscovered'.

Off the top of my head, and assuming that you have some interest in history and/or landscape, I'd suggest Sibiu in Romania....Bratislava , Piestany and Trnava in Slovakia.... TarantoPavia and Bergamo in Italy.... the Shetland Islands......Malmo in Sweden......Maribor and Ptuj in Slovenia......Norwich in the UK ...Leiden in the Netherlands....Antequera in Spain....Narbonne in France ....as less-visited but still interesting destinations. But there are many, many more.

You might also think of less-visited non-EU countries such as MontenegroMacedoniaSerbiaBosnia and Herzegovina?

1. Europe (attraction)
  2. Sibiu (attraction)
  3. Bratislava (city)
  4. Piestany (city)
  5. Trnava (city)
  6. Taranto (city)
  7. Pavia (city)
  8. Bergamo (city)
  9. Shetland Islands (attraction)
  10. Malmo (city)
  11. Maribor (city)
  12. Ptuj (city)
  13. Norwich (city)
  14. Leiden (attraction)
  15. Antequera (city)
  16. Narbonne (city)
  17. Montenegro (country)
  18. Macedonia (attraction)
  19. Serbia (attraction)
  20. Bosnia and Herzegovina (attraction)