Deepak
India

Europe, Africa, Turkey, Jordan, Israel

Suggestions for single traveler

Hello to all the Tripsters! I am looking to go for a trip by myself (FYI, its not a broken heart rebounding trip or anything. I just wanted to travel by myself). The dates will probably be between Nov 2014- Jan 2015. I am looking for suggestions about locations where I could travel to. Ideally, I would like it to be in the western part of the world but I wouldn't count out African cities either but it has to be really really tempting. 

In terms of the person I am, I plan to use Airbnb extensively because the locations of some of the listings are gorgeous. I can spend roughly around $75-$100 per day excluding accommodation and air travel. I like concerts, night life and sports. With regards to night life, I would be more comfortable in a pub than in a night club (Not sure if that info helps!). Plus I like my trip to be without any hassle- by which I mean, I could extend my budget by a bit if that provides me with the comfort and the convenience.

There you go! If all you awesome people could keep some suggestions coming about the cities and what to do there, that would be awesome. Also, the ideal length of the trip in a single city is roughly between 4-6 days at the most.

My ideal vacation- which I will be doing in March/April 2015 is Rome+Florence for 10 days. I hope that gives you some idea. :)

Jonny from Nowhere

Well I would put Amsterdam on that list for sure.

As far as African cities go I tend to avoid a lot of them simply because the countryside has more to offer. However Cape Town in South Africa is a beautiful city that could very much be to your taste by the sound of it. 

1. Amsterdam (city)
  2. Cape Town (city)

Clifford from Kenya

It is true that African countryside has more to offer than the cities. There are lots of things to do in the countryside but for Nairobi and some few other cities in the region, you can have something fun for yourself while in the city. For example, Nairobi is the only city in the world with a wilderness park nearby its CBD, city tours here are the best since you have excursion options: David Sheldrick Elephant & Rhino Orphanage, Nairobi National Museum Brew Bistro and Lounge

I am sure you will not run out of options, the above just give some clue about the city's leisure life.

1. David Sheldrick Elephant & Rhino Orphanage (attraction)
  2. Nairobi National Museum (attraction)
  3. Brew Bistro and Lounge (restaurant)

Ignatius from Braunschweig

I enjoy traveling alone, but one of the few moments when I think "I should have invited someone else..." is when I go out for a drink. However, in my experience, London, Edinburgh and Glasgow were the right cities for that. They have plenty of small venues with live music almost every day of the week and people are very into friendly chat with newcomers.

2. Edinburgh (city)
  3. Glasgow (city)

Lissa from Boston

I've traveled solo in Europe and find its easy and fun to do in the cities. Amsterdam is a great spot for solo travelers. London and Dublin are also great. Lots of pubs and friendly people in all three where English is spoken and you'll be able to meet people. (I have friends from all three cities from striking up conversations at the pubs.) I found Copenhagen a little quieter than those, but still a nice time. Parisis tougher if you don't speak French, but is a vibrant city and was fun on a solo trip. Have fun! 

1. Europe (continent)
  2. Amsterdam (city)
  4. Dublin (city)
  5. Copenhagen (city)

Brett from Eindhoven

I would think during that time of year, you can get some good mileage traveling in the vicinity of cities like MunichNurembergBerlinDresdenPragueSalzburg and Innsbruck. November - january are definitely not the peak season for tourism in these areas, but you do need to be wary of snow. There are so many great sights to see around these cities and the smaller towns in between that can definitely keep you busy for these two months.

1. Munich (city)
  2. Berlin (city)
  3. Dresden (city)
  4. Prague (city)
  5. Salzburg (city)
  6. Innsbruck (city)
  7. Nuremberg (attraction)