Daphne Lapourre

Daphne from Paris asked October 17, 2014

Europe: Searching for a sunny + culturally interesting place to go in November

Sunny + culture + no special request regarding hotels + with boyfriend + between 1 week and 10 days somewhere in Europe.  Any ideas?

Europe

• John Sappington

Top Answer by John S. from Carlsbad (California)

You have probably thought of it, but you could do a lot worse than rent an apartment in Villefranche-sur-Mer. You can get a nice one for a very good price that time of the year. Nice Still lots of sunshine in November and good museums in Nice and the Chapelle du Rosaire de Vencein Vence. Good trains and buses if you don't want to get a car. It will be only locals and very quiet.

• Alex Jorge

Trippy Ambassadors are elite members of the community, hand picked to help you travel better!

Alex J. from London answered

Hi Daphne,

For that amount of time and for sun, perhaps you could do an interesting driving itinerary in southern Europe?

Portugal

I would suggest Portugal. If you fly into Lisbon you can spend a few days exploring the beautiful city and the neighboring towns of Sintra and Cascais. It is more than likely to be above 15oC and sunny. Then, a short drive into the the Alentejo province will take you into dry and sunny agricultural plains where you can village hop from castle towns such as Estremoz or base yourself in (my favourite) gourmet city of Evora. This would make for an excellent relaxed vacation, with great food and even better wine.

Barcelona

Another option is, as recommended, the south of Spain. But I would expand from the western coast and Seville into the eastern border around Barcelona which will likely be sunny too.

Bariimage from travelblog.org

In Italy, I discovered the very sunny and historical town of Matera in Basilicata (in late November) where I went hiking in short sleeves! Amazing food and excellently romantic accommodations, it can be accessed by taxi or (a longer) train from Bari. Matera is also very close to Puglia and the famous trulli village of Alberobello. Highly recommended!

I wrote a blog post: http://www.aforkinlondon.com/post/72555882527/matera

Alberobelloimage from italyluxurytours.com

Lastly, you may find it tempting to visit the Greek islands, perhaps Mikonos which has a year round air link, or the Peloponnesia coast. It will warm, sunny and gloriously devoid of tourists. The prices will be tempting as well, especially compared to high season rates.

Mikonosimage from lugaressorprendentes.blogspot.com

Good luck finding some sun!

• Julie Sykes

Julie S. from York answered

Hi Daphne, if you're after sun in Europe in November, I'd agree with Seville, Cadiz and the like. I also hear Parque Natural Cabo de Gata - Nijar is still warm at that time of year, though I've not been to the latter to be able to give it a personal recommendations. Happy travels :)

• Travis Huyghebaert

Travis H. from Kamloops answered

We have spent much of the last two years traveling through Europe (much of which was in the off-season), and we are always looking for a warm winter region to explore. while you're not likely to find amazing weather, there are a few places that still have pretty good amounts of sun in the winter. Three places come to mind immediately for me.

The first is Andalucia. When we were there in November, the temperatures were still in the high 20's to low 30's, and with cities like Seville, Cordoba (Spain), Granada, and Malaga there is tons to see and do. Plus the likes of Madrid, Valencia, and Barcelona are just a train ride away.

The second region is the coastal Adriatic, specifically Croatia. Again, the temperatures there in November can be pretty balmy (even beach weather if you're lucky). The whole of Istra is amazing, Dubrovnik is one of the most picture-perfect cities in the world, and Split is a wonderful place to experience some of the "real Croatia".

The final location is Malta. We were there in late December/early February and the temperatures were still in the low to mid 20's. Valletta is one of the coolest cities in the world, and the ancient sites like Ġgantija (older than the pyramids) are amazing to behold.

If none of these places get you excited, then there's always the likes of Greece, Turkey, and Portugal (Lisbon is always warm) that might be more to your liking. Hope this helps.