Lauren

Europe

Favorite European city?

What's your favorite city in Europe and why??

Has always been, and will always be Paris.  It has meaning to me-where I sort of first realized how different the world is, where I got my travel bug.  I remember being so amazed at the architecture-how each building looked like a masterpiece compared to what I was used to.  I love the sidewalk cafe culture, I adore the food, and I still find each building to be more spectacular then the next.

Bergamo is my favourite city in Europe, although it is more like a big town. I think I love it most because it just gets on with life! It is not touristy, even though it is really beautiful, it protects its beautiful buildings and art, celebrates its musical heritage (Donizetti) and provides everything that anybody could need for a great time! It is really three places in one: (1)  Citta Alta: the old, walled "high" city with its narrow streets and Mercato delle Scarpe at the top of the funicolare. Piazza Vecchia is a lovely place to hang out or take a coffee. (2) San Vigilio is higher still, with beautiful parkland to walk through and a castle with views as far as Milan. Beneath it all is (3) Citta Bassa, the newer "modern" shoppy part of Bergamo with two wonderful art galleries and Theatro Donizelli. Bergamo has some of the best restaurants in Italy and a lovely relaxed ambience. It is one of the few cities in the world that I would happily swap Dublin for, as a place to live.

1. Bergamo (city)
  2. Dublin (city)