cigamelprup
Singapore

Europe, Prague, Italy, France, London

Eurail Pass or Point-to-Point Tickets

I will be travelling from Prague-Italy-France-London.   I would like to find out whether it will be more worthwhile to get a Eurail Pass or point-to-point tickets. 

If I were to get point-to-point tickets over the internet at the local train websites, does it mean it has already been reserved? Or will I still need to do ticket reservations at additional cost?

kim from Beijing

I purchased the Eurail Pass before traveling in Europe. I used it in Spain, Italy, Austria, and the Czech Republic. It was very easy to already have the train tickets beforehand. All I needed to do was reserve a seat at the station, which could be done at any time. I found it to be very convenient and worthwhile. Some of the trains in Italy you don't need a reservation for! 

Michelle from Melbourne

A lot would depend on the season you're intending to travel and how many stops you're intending to make in France and Italy. Trains in Italy in the summer can be very crowded - especially in 2nd class so to be sure of a seat at that time of year you'd probably do well to get a 1st class Eurail pass. Also, I'm pretty sure the Eurail pass doesn't give you access to the Eurostar if you're going on to London. I think you might get a discount on Eurostar if you have a Eurail pass that's valid for France. On my last European trip, I did point-to-point tickets between Vienna-Prague-Berlin in 2nd class and got some reasonable deals by watching the booking websites. From Berlin to Paris, flying was cheaper (and much quicker) and then I again just watched the fares to book the best deal I could find on Eurostar to London.

Laura from Buenos Aires

In my opinion if you are not going to make more than five travels by train it is not convinient. You should check individual prices in advance but my expierence is that. 

Michael from New Jersey

We tried that last summer. Paid 670.00 person, that gave us three days of travel each.  

Draw back is you don't have a reservation and you might not get a seat on the train. We got lucky but next time we will buy each leg of our trip and have a seat. They may only have one train car that is open for these passes and if your leaving a big city like London. Guess what you may have to wait for another train and they may not have seats either.  

Have fun