Europe

All-over Europe smartphone data plans/SIM cards for Italy & Switzerland

I heard that there were SIM cards that worked for all over Europe.  Does anyone have any experience with this?  I'll be spending the most time in Italy and Switzerland, so if there are any specific plans that work best for there, that would be awesome.

I have an unlocked iPhone and I don't think I'll be making many phone calls, if any at all.  I mostly just want it for maps, web browser and social media, so any unlimited or cheap data plan would be ideal.  Thanks!

Stanley from Butte

Your questions about Europe make me want to jet back there!  Its been a few years since I've been so I don't know about exact plans, but I used Vodafone when I was over there.  They're very popular and have stores all over the place in several countries (should have one at the airport if you're arriving by air).  They have affordable pay as you go plans.  I think I paid something like $30 USD for an entire month of data on my iPad a few years back.  I don't know about a SIM card that works in both Italy and Switzerland, but Vodafone is in both countries, so I would just ask when buying the SIM card. 

Just a note about getting a SIM card in Italy: you need to have your passport with you in order to get it.  Something about the Italian government requiring it.  Threw me through a loop because I had to go back to my hotel room safe to get mine, so hopefully you'll avoid that.

Good luck with getting that SIM card!

Jackie from Germany

I'm not sure there is a plan that will allow both Italy and Switzerland. I have Vodafone Germany right now and you can connect automatically to the Vodafone Italia and Swiss branches, but you will pay high prices for service/ roaming/ data charges. It is a good option, just make sure you have enough credit on the phone. Also, it's worth noting that Skype can be used in place of calling local numbers. If it's texting you are interested in, from iphone to iphone texts are free via messenger (only if the little  chat bubbles are green in the application, I believe.) Since you really want just a data plan, you might not even have to buy a sim card-- just go to any number of local restaurants that offer free wifi and put your phone on airplane mode.