Vikas

Europe

17 days in Europe

We are two friends, starting from Beirut, planning to go to Athens, Budapest, Rome, Ibiza. How should we go about it, there are no specific preferences, we are just looking to see the places, hope to catch some taste of their cultures, do photography, catch some nightlife. This is our first time to Europe. We are starting out on 2nd of Dec, hope to also see some December markets, join any festival if there is, need all the help we can get, we are fine with hostels, or cheap hotels,is it too ambitious, is the time right, will we be traveling too much for Budapest?please advice.

Hi Vikas,

If I were you I would skip Ibiza and Athens in December. It's usually cold and wet with not a lot happening and very little winter ambience. You could fly into Rome and take a low-cost airline from there to Prague  and take a train from there to Vienna  and then on to Budapest

Paris Berlin and Munich are also great Winter cities with lots to do and decent night life in December.

1. Ibiza (attraction)
  2. Athens (city)
  4. Prague (city)
  5. Vienna (city)
  6. Budapest (city)
  8. Berlin (city)
  9. Munich (city)

Bruno from Aalst

Rome is nice, but why would you go to Athens or Ibiza? I don't think those are the best choice. Think about Barcelona or maybe London (but London is expensive). If you would ever come to belgium, don't go to brussels, but visit Ghent!

2. Athens (city)
  3. Ibiza (attraction)
  4. Barcelona (city)
  6. Ghent (city)

Lawrence from New Hampshire

I would include a few days in Venice. There's no better city for photography, and in December, the sun will lie lower in the sky during the entire day, lengthening the shadows. Just be certain that the seas are not flooding Piazza San Marco, unless you like photos of encroaching waters.

2. Piazza San Marco (attraction)

Peter from Bloomington (Indiana)

December is a time when a lot of Europe is preparing for Christmas. I've been to Christmas markets in several Swiss cities, and they're fun. More generally, if this is your first time in Europe, I strongly recommend Barcelona and Seville in Spain -- there are lots of unique experiences to be had in Spain for relatively low cost.

1. Barcelona (city)
  2. Seville (city)